4 Reasons Why We Need 4th Wave Feminism

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oswego chapter.

First, second, third,… fourth? Yes, you read that right: there is a fourth wave in the works. If you are a feminist, like myself, or have even just the slightest knowledge of what’s going on with women’s rights, you know that women are still dealing with a thing or two, an injustice here and there; aka dealing with things they should not still have to deal with. As times are changing right before our eyes, so is the relevance of certain women’s issues. Feminist discourse has evolved over the years, and today we have new issues to talk about, ladies and gents. We have had our suffragettes, equal opportunists, and intersectionalists in the first three waves, so what’s next? All-inclusive, human body supporters?

The fourth wave of feminism is not official yet, but it is certainly developing and it is what all the cool feminists are talking about. So what can fourth wave feminism bring us? Only the future can tell, but here are just four reasons why we need this new wave.1. Misandry

‘Fem’ might be in feminism, but that doesn’t mean men can’t be a part of the action, too. Male feminists, you say? Yup, they’re out there, they exist! The fourth wave suppresses misandry and actually acknowledges those men who fight for equality. What do Ryan Gosling and Tony Goldwyn have in common? They’re both men and feminists! It is hard to hate men willing to fight for women’s rights, especially men so talented and good looking, am I right, ladies? Well, the fourth wave helps us recognize that inequality is an issue for both genders that needs to be resolved with efforts from both (or all) genders. The fourth wave brings genders together, instead of dividing against one another.

2. Body Shaming…Slut shaming…Any other shaming…

In recent years, not only has there been a high rise of women hating men, but a rise of women hating other women as well. The fourth wave is a judgment free zone and encourages all women of different body types, appearances, and personalities to do whatever makes them feel most comfortable and confident! No more telling women what to do, when to do it, and how to do it. What the world needs less of? Body shaming. What the world needs more of? Body positivity…and positivity, in general.

3. Bodily Autonomy

As much as I would like you to keep your paws off my body unless given consent, I would like even more for you to keep your laws off my body unless given consent. My body, my choice, sir. Being pro-choice does not automatically mean you are anti-life, it just means you are pro-choice: you want the choice to do what you want with your body, and that’s okay. In times when women are potentially losing all rights to their own bodies, this fourth wave is especially necessary.4. Nontraditional Women

Fourth and foremost, as we are discussing women and their rights it only makes sense to clarify what exactly we mean by “women”. Just as women’s issues have evolved over time, the definition of what it means to be a woman has also changed over time. Luckily, the fourth wave is all-inclusive; it recognizes trans women as women who deserve just as many rights as the next cis woman, and cis man for that matter!

Hey, it's AJ! When I'm not writing up a press release, I'm usually writing up an article of some sort. PR major, English minor
Katie Short

Oswego '18

Katie is a recent graduate of SUNY Oswego, where she double-majored in Creative Writing and Political Science and a minor in Journalism. She was the Co-Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Oswego as well as a Chapter Advisor. Katie hopes to get a job in writing, editing or social media.