2017 Oscar Predictions

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oswego chapter.

As some movie geeks must know, Oscar season is quickly approaching. There is a great list of contenders that have a shot at being nominated for this year’s 2017 Oscars. But these five movies are guaranteed to be nominated for an Oscar.

La La Land

Director Damien Chazelle (Whiplash) is coming back with another potential homerun with this beautiful romantic musical starring Emma Stone playing a struggling actress and Ryan Gosling as the jazz pianist. They fall in love in the city of angels, but in the process theire love is tested in new limits as their careers flourish to great heights.

The Birth of a Nation   

The U.S. Grand Jury Prize winner for a dramatic film for this year’s 2016 Sundance Film Festival has been in the limelight for a while. Writer, actor and director Nate Parker (Beyond the Lights) of The Birth of a Nation was still able to have his movie shown at the Sundance Film Festival despite being accused of raping a college student in 1999 before she committed suicide in 2012. The story focuses around the protagonist Nate Parker who is a literate slave and preacher that leads the South’s Antebellum that led to the 48 hour revolt against slavery.    

Moonlight

Director and writer Barry Jenkins tells a coming of age story about a young black man, Mahershala Ali (Luke Cage) starring as the main character, Juan who grows up in a rough neighborhood in Miami, Florida.

Fences

Denzel Washington is directing and starring in the drama, Fences based on the play by August Wilson. Fences centers around a former baseball player that becomes a garbage collector and struggles to raise his family with the issues involving race in 1950’s Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.

Silence

One of my all time favorite directors, the famous Martin Scorsese (The Wolf of Wall Street) is directing the story based on the book, Silence, by Shusaku Endo. It stars Liam Neeson (Taken)  and Adam Driver (Star Wars: The Force Awakens) who are priests in the seventeenth century. They travel to Japan to spread Christianity but are faced with violent events as they travel to see their mentor.

My name is Yaritza Sencion and I am sophomore in SUNY Oswego majoring in Cinema and Screens Studies and Theatre with a minor in Arts management. I enjoy writing film reviews and film news but I like to concentrate on Hollywoods lack of women and diversity within the industry.
I'm known as kind of being a hippy who loves to meditate, do yoga, and listen to music. I'm always up for an adventure and am interested in living creatively, working for a bigger purpose, and continuing my adventures around the world!