What the 2014 Midterm Election Means for Pro-Choice Advocates

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OSU chapter.

If you’re like me and you didn’t know what the heck we (or other people) were voting for, read this!

On November 4th, citizens in certain states voted to elect old white men into the Senate, and in case you haven’t seen CNN lately, the Republicans have gained the majority in the Senate.

AKA they have more power than the Democrats. What does this mean for you and I? 

Republicans have been known for having conservative views on reproductive rights, as well as dodging the fact that the average woman is only payed 77 cents to her male counterpart’s dollar. But is anything going to change? I mean, nothing has been getting through congress anyways!

The likely new majority leader, Mitch McConnell has publicly stated that he will push for a 20-week abortion ban. Anti-abortion bills are on the horizon. Funding for planned parenthood down the drain. Federal contraceptive access gone. 

But before you break out the ice cream, turn on One Tree Hill and cry thinking about all your rights being taken away, there’s an amazing movement happening called “Lady Parts Justice” and it’s the best thing I’ve ever seen for Pro-choice people like me. Check it out, the website says they are “a national movement using humor and outrage to remove bodily autonomy-hating LOCAL politicans in 2014 and beyond”. 

Leah's hobbies include eating Chickfila, walking her dog when no one else will and pretending to be athletic. When she's not busy doing nothing she can be found at CVS buying unnecessary items or at Starbucks staring cluelessly at the menu.