USG Elections: Who Will Our Next President Be?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OSU chapter.

If you’ve walked through the oval this week or even logged on to Facebook you know it’s that time of year again- undergraduate student government elections

Every year during spring semester the most ambitious students at Ohio State set out to win  votes for USG president by spamming student’s Facebook walls, stopping them as they cross the oval, and chalking the sidewalks. The undergraduates will be electing the newest batch of students to represent them for the 2014-2015 academic year next week. This year there are six candidates running for USG president; the most candidates on the ballot since 2003.

This year’s candidates include Josh Ahart running with Jen Tripi, Celia Wright running with Leah Lacure, Vytas Aukstuolis running with Nick Macek, Ryan Hedrick running with Nicole Spaetzel, Mohamad Mohamad running with Sean Crowe, and Andrew Warnecke running with Logan Recker.

If elected to the position the candidates and their VP’s will take on a new set of responsibilities. First and foremost it is the job of the president to be the spokesperson for the undergraduate students and serve as a liaison between the undergraduates and the administration. In addition, they also set the policies and determine the initiatives for the year.  The President and Vice President are also – of course – in charge of overseeing the whole organization.

Each of these candidates showed what they had to offer at the USG Presidential Debate on February 25 in the US Bank Confrence Theater. Now it is up to the student’s to decide who will be their next leader.

In addition to those running for president and vice president, there are 104 candidates running for 40 spots on the senate.

Voting starts at noon on March 3 and will last until 11:59 p.m. March 5.

For more information about the candidates you can visit http://usg.osu.edu/getinvolvedinusg/usg_elections