Staying Safe Off-Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OSU chapter.

In case you’ve missed those student safety alerts, Columbus isn’t the suburbs you grew up in. There have been many sexual assaults and break-ins in the off-campus area lately. I’m usually not such a worry wart, but after someone came into my house while my roommates and I were upstairs, I’m starting to take my safety a little more seriously.

Now, I’m not saying that Columbus is a giant, scary, city and we should all hide in our basements until graduation, but it is a city. And all cities have dangerous areas and more risks than the suburbs or the country. When you move off campus it’s important to remember you aren’t in the safety of your dorm anymore, so use some precaution. A little common sense can keep you and your friends safe.

1. Lock all your doors and windows- this may seem very basic but once you get comfortable it’s easy to forget. My roommates and I didn’t even realize a couple of our window locks were broken until after someone broke into our house.

2. Never walk alone at night- As soon as you leave campus it is not safe to be walking by yourself.  Just because you did it before doesn’t mean its safe.  Even the PLL girls are smart enough to stay together…sometimes. 

3. Close your blinds before you go to bed- Maybe it’s not the best idea for anyone to be able to see right into your house? You know, to see your Mac Book, Iphone, and TV….  Just thinking out loud here

4. Carry pepper spray – there are cute pink key chains that you can buy and at least it will make you feel a little safer.