Shannon Gardner: I Am That Girl

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OSU chapter.

This week, Her Campus was inspired by a student at Ohio State who truly makes an impact on the women around her. President of I AM THAT GIRL, Shannon Gardner, shares her passion for the organization and opens up about the change its made in her life. I AM THAT GIRL is a local chapter of a global movement that inspires girls to be, love and express who they are through education, content and community. 

How long have you been a part of I Am That Girl?

I have been part of I AM THAT GIRL since my sophomore year here at OSU! I founded our organization along with two other girls in October of 2013, so it has been up and running for about 2 ½ years. We founded our group after attending an OUAB event at The Union, where national/international founder Alexis Jones gave an inspirational talk about the power of girls collaborating rather than competing. She gave us the tools to go online to www.iamthatgirl.com and fill out an application to start a chapter at OSU!

What made you want to join & be the president of I Am That Girl?

I stumbled upon Alexis Jones’ event at the beginning of my first year at OSU, after I had transferred from a very small university in Upstate New York. I was still trying to make friends, find my place in the university and create a home here. I attended with my roommate just for something to do, and I ended up connecting so deeply with her words. She spoke about the power of surrounding yourself with people who lift you up, a positive environment and supporting other women as well. I found myself in tears, feeling so inspired as I listened to her. I knew this was something I needed in my life, and something so many other women at Ohio State needed as well. I just had a powerful gut feeling in my heart, calling me to take action and bring the incredible energy of this organization to Ohio State.

What do you love about the organization?

What I love most about this organization is the small, close-knit community we have cultivated over the years. I have had many girls inquire about whether we do volunteer work, or anything outside of our meetings. The answer is yes, however the most substantial and significant part of our organization is the conversations that we have on Sunday nights at our meetings. That is where the true magic takes place. That is the sacred space where women can come together, leave their baggage at the door no matter what kind of day they’ve had, and allow themselves to be vulnerable, with a supportive and nurturing environment of women who will listen with open hearts to their stories. We have a different topic at each meeting, and we try to choose topics that will resonate will everyone. In this space is where many girls have found a home with I AM THAT GIRL, where they are welcomed with open arms and honored for exactly who they are. There is not much in this world that makes me happier than creating that space for other women to be their wholehearted selves.

What is the primary goal of the organization?

The primary goal of I AM THAT GIRL is to create a loving community where women support one another, while simultaneously working on loving and accepting themselves for exactly who they are. Many of us have been raised with so many stereotypes, comparison and competition amongst ourselves and other women. Our goal is to go against these norms, and create new ones! Women can accomplish so much more when they have a supportive group, or “tribe” of women who lift them up and celebrate who they are. In the process of celebrating others, we are celebrating ourselves. This is the biggest component of our organization, and I have definitely watched it transfer the lives of some of our most involved members of the years. Nothing makes me happier than seeing that!

How has the organization affected you?

This organization has had a huge positive impact on my life as a student here at OSU. It has increased my self-worth, given me a passion bigger than myself and cultivated my closest friendships here at school. It has introduced me to girls who think different, some of which who have struggled with mental illnesses I had never been exposed to, who have different sexualities from myself and who have inspiring personal stories. I’ve learned how to see the world from perspectives other than my own. Making friends who inspire me, lift me up and have taught me vital life lessons has gotten me through many of my own trials and doubts. I am so grateful for this group of women. This organization has blessed me with friends who think differently than me, who always have my back and who have made me a better, stronger and more confident woman overall.

What advice would you give to a girl searching for self-love/acceptance of self

I would tell her to take time for herself, sometimes. To go somewhere beautiful alone, to take herself out on a date and to never be afraid to do what she wants by herself. It’s so important to know yourself and love yourself before you are capable of loving another human being. For me, this is something I struggled with all throughout high school and even into college. For me, getting to know myself better involved travelling, spending time outdoors and lots of journaling. I would also tell her to surround herself with her “tribe”. I would tell her to choose quality over quantity in friendships, and to value people who inspire her, know what a badass she is and lift her up no matter what she is going through. Life is too short to spend time with people who bring you down. It is so important to be around people who see the bright light inside you, even when you can’t see it! 

Heather Clark is a sophomore at The Ohio State University pursuing degrees in Stragetic Communications and Business.  From everyday thoughts to daily inspirations, she's enjoyed writing for many years and loves being apart of HerCampus Ohio State.  Outside of writing, Heather spends her time finding a new favorite artist or obsessing over a CW Netflix series, doing yoga, and journaling her life experiences.  After graduation, Heather hopes to start her career in public relations or advertising, aspiring to one day plan events and campaigns for a company that empower young women.