The Real Star Behind the Movie “Concussion” Visits OSU

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OSU chapter.

The man behind the movie “Concussion” surely left an impression on the hearts of many buckeyes last week! On Thursday Feb. 18, Dr. Bennet Omalu took the stage of the Archie M. Griffin Ballroom located in the Ohio Student Union. Many may wonder what makes him so special however, special would be an understatement. Dr. Omalu is the brilliant researcher behind the discovery of Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy, also known as CTE. This brain disease is one that is most commonly found in athletes but can affect anyone with a history of repetitive brain trauma.

During his speech, Dr. Omalu discussed his childhood upbringing and family dynamic. Born in Nigeria in 1968, he graduated from the University of Nigeria’s medical school but later went on to continue his education here in the United States. His discovery of Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy first began with his examination of former NFL Pittsburgh Steelers star, Mike Webster. Before Webster’s death, at the age of 50, he suffered a heart attack causing him to display signs of distressing behaviors which led Dr. Omalu to have curious thoughts.

While examining Webster, Dr. Omalu came across proteins similar to ones found in patients struggling with Dementia. After his discovery was confirmed, he wrote a paper titled “Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy Found in a National Football League Player” which stirred up quite a bit of controversy. The NFL quickly denied his work and wanted nothing to do with him. With all the odd’s already against him, in 2005, when the paper was published Dr. Omalu had two choices, give up and walk away or to keep going. In several television interviews, he expressed that it’s his duty to educate people about CTE so it can be prevented and nothing can hinder him from what he believes. Believe it or not, that mentality is partially what’s gotten him where he is today!

In December 2015, the movie “Concussion” starring Will Smith as Dr. Omalu hit movie theaters across the globe. Not only does the film display Dr. Omalu’s discovery, but it actually captures his journey along the way. If you were unable to attend his speech in the Union or have yet to see the movie be sure to check it out! 

“Concussion” will be playing as a part of OUAB’s Flicks for Free program in the Ohio Union on April 30.