Rachel Horvath: President of Residence Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OSU chapter.

Name: Rachel Horvath

Rank: Sophomore

Major: Business (Operations Management)

Minor: Mandarin Chinese

Hometown: Medina, Ohio

This week, Her Campus OSU met with sophomore Rachel Horvath, who is making quite the name for herself at Ohio State. As a freshman, she became really involved with her dorm, Siebert and wound up becoming their President of Activities. As the year went on, she became more and more involved, fell in love with the program, and took a shot in the dark when a position on RHAC’s e-board became available. Now, Rachel is the President of all Residential Life. Read on to see learn about her journey to the top! 

Her Campus: How did you get involved with Residential Life

Rachel Horvath: I was elected President of the Siebert Hall Activities council around this time last year. I loved working with everyone in our hall to put on programs and make Siebert feel more like home for all of us, so when a position opened up on the RHAC e-board at the end of first semester I took a chance because I really wanted to make a campus-wide impact! 

HC: What is a typical day in the life of the President (i.e. do u run meetings, who are you in contact with on campus, basically what the job entails)

RH: The past month has been really busy for everyone on our executive board because we’ve been planning out our whole year. We all arrived 10 days before move-in day to start planning events and meet with groups from Res Life. Then we assisted with early arrival programs like R-Lead and OWL. We also had two Welcome Week programs (Drew Murray Magic Show and the Late Night Breakfast at Kennedy) that we put on and they were both a huge success! As President, my days are now filled with meetings and a lot of emails. I’ve been meeting with our Director of Dining often and also meet with our Director of Housing monthly. Next week (9/15) will be our first General Body meeting at 7 pm on the second floor of Curl Hall so we have been meeting to plan that out and make sure our Senators and General Body members have a great experience with RHAC!

HC: What is your favorite thing about Res Life?

RH: My favorite thing about Res Life is how many opportunities they give students to make a difference on campus. We have a fairly young e-board (6 sophomores and 1 junior) but already we have had the chance to meet with President Drake and Dr. J for lunch. I love being able to advocate for students on campus so it’s great to see that there are so many people who want to hear student opinions and feedback.

HC: Who do you admire the most?

RH: I admire my mom because she is able to balance everything in her life so well – she works full time but still manages to be the best mother in the world and I hope that I’ll be like her one day.

HC: What is your favorite thing about being a Buckeye?

RH: I love all the traditions that we have on campus, and the energy that you can feel all over campus in the fall on game day. It’s amazing to see so many people come together to support our school.