Painter David Garibaldi Performs at OSU

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OSU chapter.

This past Monday evening, March 3rd, Garibaldi dazzled Ohio State students with his intertwining of energized music and powerful painting. Students marveled as the Ohio Union Performance Hall was transformed into a paint splattered arena and they were treated to a front row viewing of an artist at work. As the lights dimmed and the performance began, Garibaldi emerged from the curtains in a whirlwind of enthusiasm and paint-splashed clothes. His energy was radiant and Ohio State students erupted in cheers. In the moment Garibaldi stepped onstage, the Performance Hall came alive. 

As a remixed medley of Michael Jackson hits bursted through the hall, Garibaldi began his first painting, a hodgepodge of paint splatters and strokes, which ended up becoming a stunning portrait of Michael Jackson himself. As the music transitioned to some softer tunes in between his painting, Garibaldi dove into his past and revealed information about how he became infatuated with the art of performance painting. After spending his younger years partaking in graffiti artwork, he saw a painting created by the artist Denny Dent, and was inspired to test his skills with performance painting, a style of art where up close, a picture may resemble only splashes and random lines, but from a distance, an intense and vivid portrait is revealed. After performing in various clubs as a performance painter, Garibaldi appeared on America’s Got Talent in 2012. Garibaldi then created the bold goal of raising $1 million dollars for nonprofit organizations through the auctioning of his artwork–all before he turned 30! Through hard work, commitment, and loads of paint, Garibaldi reached his goal six whole months before his 30th birthday.

Intermittently between Garibaldi’s telling of his past, he would reach yet again for his paint brushes and begin a new portrait right before the audience’s eyes. As John Legend crooned “All of Me” in the background, Garibaldi turned a blank canvas into a terrific portrait of a couple embracing. High-energy remixed tunes blared through the Performance Hall and provided the fuel as Garibaldi soared into his final two portraits: a splendid picture of Martin Luther King Jr. and an eccentric portrait of Albert Einstein. He finished off his performance with a dozen thank-you’s and gracefully left the stage.

David Garibaldi’s performance was an energizing and also inspiring experience. As he painted and moved with the rhythm of the music playing, he encouraged the audience to clap along and cheer. At one point the audience even erupted in a sing-a-long of Journey’s “Don’t Stop Believin’.” Garibaldi truly made the audience members feel as though they were a part of the performance. His final words were ones of encouragement, motivating the Ohio State students to follow their passions and dreams. If you missed out on Garibaldi’s incredible performance, be sure to check out his many YouTube videos as well as his halftime show at the upcoming Ohio State basketball game!

Photo Source: OUAB