Orange is the New Black’s Piper Kerman Comes to OSU

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OSU chapter.

On January 13th, Piper Kerman visited OSU and gave a presentation that left a lasting impression on many students. Shortly after graduating from Smith College, Piper began a romantic relationship with a woman. As the relationship became more serious Piper was asked to carry drug money from Chicago to Brussels. Piper followed through with the request and–shell-shocked from committing a federal crime–she ended the relationship shortly after.

It was not until years later that Kerman, now living with her fiancé Larry, was indicted for her crimes from her younger days. Piper spent the bulk of her 15-month sentence in prison in the all-women’s Federal Correctional Institution in Danbury, CT. Kerman was released from prison in 2005 and was fortunate enough to have a job and fiancé waiting for her. Piper later decided to write a book about her experience in prison titled Orange is the New Black: My Year in a Women’s Prison. The book is now a New York Times bestseller and was later picked up by Netflix to become the original series, Orange is the New Black, which premiered in July of 2013.

The Netflix adaptation of Orange is the New Black is extremely popular. In her presentation, Kerman asked the audience who had watched the show and, after seeing countless eager hands in the air, answered her own question with, “Oh, all of you.” The room was filled with devoted fans, but the show itself was only a small part of the presentation. Instead, Kerman focused on exposing what she feels are problems with the Criminal Justice System, while also detailing the main themes of her time in prison.

Themes like friendship, gender roles, and the empowerment that comes from assigned jobs in prison gave the audience an inside look at what being in jail is really like. Kerman used her stories and memories from being incarcerated to turn imprisonment into something that students can relate to. Kerman also gave suggestions as to how we, as students, can get involved to make changes in the Federal Justice System. Students entered the presentation as fans of the Netflix series or Kerman’s book, but left with a new perspective on prison, and, if desired, how to make a difference.