Ohio State Welcomes New President

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OSU chapter.

As most students know by now, Ohio State announced the 15th President of the University, Dr. Michael Drake. He will take over Interim President Alluto’s role on June 30th.

So who exactly is Dr. Drake and will he live up to our beloved former President Gee?

Gee himself thinks so, saying “In Dr. Michael Drake, The Ohio State University Board of Trustees has made a brilliant choice. Dr. Drake is a world-class academic and exceptionally able and seasoned higher education leader.”

Dr. Drake is currently chancellor of the University of California at Irvine. Though he will be adjusting to a much larger university, the presidential search committee feels he is the perfect fit. With his medical background, Dr. Drake is ideal as OSU takes on the expansion of the Wexner Medical Center, which will be one the largest projects in the university’s history. He has an extensive knowledge of higher education and is considered an innovator in the academia.

Dr. Drake and his wife seem to be extremely enthusiastic about this new position as he believes that “there is no more impactful university in the United States and in many ways in the world.” 

Her Campus welcomes Dr. Drake and hope he’s ready for all that OSU’s got to offer!