Meet The Women Behind An Awesome Campus Org: Fighting Pretty

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OSU chapter.

Fighting Pretty is an amazing organization at Ohio State dedicated to helping women throughout cancer treatments. We talked to the presidents of the org, Deepti Hossain and Shalini Patel, to learn more. 

How did Fighting Pretty get started at OSU?

Two years ago, Deepti and her roommate Hope discovered Fighting Pretty, a national nonprofit based in Portland. The idea of supporting women battling any stage of cancer resonated with them. They saw an opportunity to bring its mission to college students. After contacting the founder, Kara Skaflestad, they developed the first university chapter at Ohio State.  

What is the mission of Fighting Pretty?

Fighting Pretty’s mission is to empower women before and cancer treatment. We send them “Pretty Packages,” which contain beauty products, scarves, nail polish, inspirational messages and our signature mini pink boxing gloves. Those gloves represent hope, strength and to never give up. 

Does Fighting Pretty have any events coming up?

We are so excited to honor breast cancer awareness month! On October 19, from 9PM-12AM, we are hosting Drink Pink at Big Bar Rooftop. Wristbands are $5 and you can RSVP at tinyurl.com/DrinkPink17. Order our Pink Drink, take pictures and have a fun night knowing you supported a great cause! 

We are also hosting $5 self defense sessions on October 21 and October 29. You can find more information at tinyurl.com/OSUFightsBack. We wanted to host this specific event because it aligns with our message: to empower women. Statistically, young women are more likely to face a threatening situation and we want to provide them with an opportunity to fight back. 

How can someone join Fighting Pretty? 

Although we do not have general body members, students can apply to be on our executive board in the beginning of fall semester. There is also an opportunity to be a Fighting Pretty OSU ambassador. Ambassadors help promote our events and raise awareness about Fighting Pretty. They can apply by emailing us at osu@fightingpretty.org

The care packages look like this: 

We also learned a little about Deepti and Shalini. 

Deepti: I’m a fourth year in Journalism from New Albany, Ohio. I have lived in Columbus my whole life. I love that it’s becoming a huge metropolis filled with opportunity, good food and entrepreneurs. Yet, I can leave the downtown area and visit suburbia, where it’s a great place to spend time with family and the community. My favorite campus spot used to be Mirror Lake, especially during the fall. Now, it’s the Union – it’s always bustling with students and remind me how fortunate I am to go to a school like Ohio State. My hobbies include dancing, going to the movies, reading and exploring new places to eat. 

Shalini: I’m a fourth year in Psychology with a Pre-Med track from Powell, Ohio. I have also lived in Columbus my whole life. What I admire the most about Columbus is the possibility to explore the city. If I’m hanging out with my friends, I can always find new things to do and eat. My favorite campus spot is The Oval. I can study, hang out with friends and, most importantly, watch the cute dogs run around. My hobbies include dancing, spending time with friends and family, watching movies, and exploring new cities. 

I hope to see you all at an upcoming Fighting Pretty event-the Her Campus OSU team will def be there! 

Aspiring writer.