How To Help Hurricane Harvey and Hurricane Irma Victims

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OSU chapter.

The past month has been a difficult time around the globe. Extreme natural disasters have caused deaths, injuries, and countless damage. Several communities are now left struggling to get back on their feet and move forward with their lives. Here’s how you can help. 

Hurricane Harvey hit Houston and surrounding areas on Aug. 25 and lasted nearly a week. Some experts estimate it caused more damage than Hurricane Katrina. 

Hurricane Irma began almost as soon as Hurricane Harvey ended. It hit the Caribbean islands beginning Aug. 30 and lasted until Sept. 10, when it hit mainland Florida. At least 69 individuals lost their lives due to Hurricane Irma. 

Hurricane Irma Damage

There are hundreds of charities, GoFundMes and other initiatives meant to help Hurricane Harvey and Hurricane Irma victims. It can be hard to navigate how and where you should be helping, especially among constant rumors of corrupt charities or fake GoFundMes. 

If you wish to donate money, check out: 

UNICEF USA is raising money specifically to help the children of Caribbean countries and Florida affected by Hurricane Irma.

Americares provides $20 in aid for every $1 donated. They are focusing on donating medicine and medical supplies to Hurricane Harvey and Hurricane Irma victims. 

GoFundMe has created its own Direct Impact Funds for victims of both hurricanes and is keeping an updated list of legitimate private GoFundMes for hurricane victims. You can make tax-deductible donations to all three of these organizations directly through their websites. 

If you wish to donate items, check out: 

The Salvation Army is collecting clothing, furniture, vehicles, household goods, and appliances for victims of the hurricanes. Use their website to either schedule a pick up time or find a drop off spot for your items.

If you wish to help pets abandoned, hurt or lost during the hurricanes, check out:

The Humane Society is working hard to help pets hurt by the hurricanes receive medical attention and care and pets lost or abandoned find new homes. You can donate to their Disaster Relief Fund. 

If you are interested in adopting or fostering a pet displaced by the hurricanes, call your local animal shelters because many are dealing with severe overcrowding right now. 

If you wish to volunteer, check out: 

Currently, highly skilled volunteers and medical personnel are helping with the immediate impacts of the hurricanes. Habitat for Humanity will soon evaluate their needs for additional volunteers, so sign up for their volunteer registry to be alerted when they do.

Please know that anything you can do to help, no matter how big or small, will make a difference to people going through an incredibly difficult time right now. 

Aspiring writer.