This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OSU chapter.

Whazzup fit and fabulous collegiettes? Hope the semester is still chugging along just lovely for all of you and you’re starting to cement some sort of fitness and eating schedule. I think I am finally starting to get mine down pat and I have begun to implement more of a morning-heavy fitness routine in order to get my day started with an UMPH. Although, I must admit, as great as I feel after a good AM sweat sesh, it is NOT always easy to spring up to the sound of an alarm before the sun’s even up. There are some tricks, though, that can help make your morning routine move a little more smoothly and some great motivational tips to help get you up and moving. See below for some of my own personal tips as well as a few I’ve picked up from various places:

1. Pack your bag the night before. This is something I’ve heard reiterated thousands of time, but, personally, is the key to my success. When I’m already getting up at the wee hours of the morning I try to sleep in until the last available minute, which is totally feasible if all my gear is laid out or packed up. 

2. Get your zzz’s! I know its hard to get to sleep at a decent time on a college schedule, but if you prioritize your time right, YOU CAN DO IT! And, when you’re knocking your workout first thing in the morning it frees up a lot of time in your day for studying (or napping). 

3. Create a delicious post-workout breakfast. There’s nothing quite like a delicious breakfast packed with nutrients, protein, and TASTE to fuel you after a hard workout. Anything involving peanut butter or Greek yogurt is usually enough to get my booty to the gym or hitting the pavement in the AM.

4. Have a workout in mind. Do your research the night before and find a workout that seems challenging but still feasible and get yourself pumped up to do it. When you go to the gym with a plan it makes it 10 times easier to get started, get sweating, and get out of there! 

5. Find a morning class! This fitness tip stretches far and wide for me because I feel like if 20+ other people are faced with the same circumstanes as me and choose to say yes, then I can do the same. Not only that, but the motivation, killer playlist and challenging moves that hopefully accompany the class will really make you appreciate skipping the snooze button.

Now, while those are the tips that work for me, personally, I know that everyone is unique (and, cheers to that!), so here are some other tips I came across via various blogs:

1.     http://fitbottomedgirls.com/2012/02/9-tips-for-working-out-in-the-morning-without-it-being-miserable/

2.     http://www.womenshealthmag.com/fitness/how-to-become-a-morning-workout-person

3.     http://greatist.com/happiness/learn-love-morning-workouts

And as an added little treat, I’ll reveal a killer Arm/Cardio workout I jammed to this week:

*Complete each set 3x through

**Added core challenge: 1:00 minute plank between each set

Set1:

• 10 pushups (girly ones or regular- doesn’t matter, just get ‘em done!)
  • 15 chest presses (on bench or stability ball)
  • 1:00 jump rope

Set2:

• 10 hammer curls
  • 15 bicep curls
  • 1:00 high knees

Set3:

• 10 front shoulder raises
  • 10 side shoulder raises
  • 10 shoulder press
  • 10/15/20 burpees (ex: complete 10 first set; 15 second set…)

Set4:

• 10 tricep dips
  • 15 bent over rows
  • 1 lap around track or other cardio move of choice 

There ya have it, ladies! Hope you all have a delicious, healthy and sweat-filled week!

Photos courtesy of youbeauty.com, undergrad.osu.edu, makegreekyogurt.com, miyjcc.org