GussStrong and Cancer Free: A Teacher’s and Coach’s Inspiring Story

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OSU chapter.

As of this week, Thomas Worthington High School’s beloved teacher and baseball coach, Stephen Gussler, lives cancer free after a five and a half year battle with the devastating disease — the Worthington, Ohio community, a Columbus suburb, rejoices. Throughout the span of Gussler’s fight with colon cancer, the immense desire to support this man has triumphed over petty high school rivalries and individual’s selfish everyday complaints, bringing the residents of Worthington together to stand behind this incredible man. I mean, when was the last time you saw two rival high schools have the same basketball game theme when they are playing each other? That just doesn’t happen, right? The first example of public support from students began with the creation of the “GussStrong” mantra, which can now be seen on t-shirts, sweatshirts, and other merchandise. In addition, local news stations and newspapers such as “10TV” and “The Columbus Dispatch” spread Gussler’s story throughout the city. Worthington’s students’ most recent campaign to share this man’s story shines through the “#GetGussOnESPN” push with the hopes of the coach’s story to reach a national level.

The appeal and love for Gussler’s story does not only arise from his battle with cancer, but because of the man’s attitude toward his condition and life itself. Through even the most discouraging diagnoses, such as learning he only had nine months to live according to doctors, Stephen Gussler constantly had a positive outlook toward his life and still continues to emit an encouraging attitude and zealous spirit toward the daily ups and downs, which most of us take for granted. “Cancer is bad, but so am I,” the coach proclaims. Gussler’s story and defeat of cancer can prove inspiring for not only the Worthington community, but individuals everywhere. His journey stands as an example of how positivity, perseverance, and the right attitude have the ability to unmistakably change one’s life for the better, a lesson we should all take away from his fight.

A freshman at The Ohio State University studying and pursuing a career in PR striving to be an eloquent mix between Carrie Bradshaw and Samantha Jones, without Carrie's whole "getting married at forty" thing.