Five Ways to Beat the Cold Weather Blues

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OSU chapter.
  1. Exercise! Exercise boosts the amount of serotonin your brain releases, which is essentially a mood-enhancement hormone. Plus, the physical benefits of exercise can help you feel more confident, which also positively effects your mood. Try out some of the fun workout classes at the RPAC, such as Circuit Cycle, Zumba, and Candlelit Yoga. 
  2. Spend time with friends! If you’re feeling down, hanging out with friends is the perfect fix. Your friends will always be there for you to share laughs, tears, and hugs-whichever you need! 
  3. Call your parents! Family is another huge source of happiness. Your parents miss you more than you know, and would love to hear from you. Plus, your parents honestly have the best advice since they’ve been your age already and know you better than anyone.
  4. Explore Columbus! Stuck in the same old rut of hitting High Street every night? Well, there is so much more of Columbus to discover and enjoy. Try going to brunch in Short North, seeing a hockey game in the Arena District, trying new cuisine in the German Village, or shopping at Easton. Changing up your routine can massively improve your mood.
  5. Do well in school! Keep yourself organized at the start of this new semester, and bring your A-game! If you’re having trouble with a class already, make sure to go to office hours to help boost your grade and make a good connection with your professor. Doing well in school has been continuously linked to a better mood. 
Aspiring writer.