The Epitome Of Black Girl Magic: How Depression Changed A Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OSU chapter.

What is Black girl magic? Black girl magic is the celebration of beauty, power and resilience of black women all across the globe. Walking in confidence, chasing your dreams, and choosing to be self-motivated regardless of your circumstance is walking in your Black girl magic. I had the opportunity to connect with one phenomenal OSU student who displays that she is the epitome of the term.

Name: Alaia Rushton

Major: Communications

Hometown: Reynoldsburg, Ohio

Twitter: @DoubleCup_Rush

Meet Ohio State communications major, Alaia Rushton. As if pursuing a college degree wasn’t enough, Rushton recently published her first book titled “Heart, Mind and Solance,” which highlights her journey through mental illness. Through the course of high school and part of her college career, Alaia struggled heavely with the mental illness known as depression. Depression is often times viewed as a simple sadness however, it’s a more complex condition that very few can comprehend. It has the possibility to alter your moods, your thought process, your perspective and the way you funtion throughout your daily life. As of 2016, 1 out of every 4 college students suffers from some form of mental illness. As a result, 19% of young adults attempt or contemplate suicide each year in the United States. In many cases those battling with a metal illness see suicide as a way out, but for Alaia, she was determined that she would find another way. I had the opportunity to sit down with her and this is what she told me…

HC: Tell me a little about your book and what prompted you to become an author.

Alaia: Sure! So the book is basically a tell-all about my journey through mental illness. In my book I’m very real, nothing is sugar coated and I really just share my truth. It was back in March when I started my first online blog. Suprisingly, I got a lot of positive feedback from people who pushed me to write more. Since I had such a positive response I felt that telling my story and my truth could help benifit someone else, so what better way to do that than sharing my story.

HC: What form of depression did you battle with and how did you get through it?

Alaia: There are several forms of depression but situational depression and chemical depression are the main two. Chemical depression is when you have a literal chemical imbalance in your brain that caused you to be depressed. Situational depression is when something tramatic happens in your life like a death, a car accident or something serious that causes long lasting depression. For me, I struggled with Chemical depression where I had a chemical imbalance in my brain that caused me to be depressed. I was so unhappy and I carried so much anger for years, I don’t know how anyone liked me. I was bitter and hated myself for so long because I never felt good enough, I never felt pretty enough, I never felt accepted. Most of my issues stemed from low self esteem. I was so embarrassed and in denial but I actually went through a program that changed my life. I had to reach this pivital point in my life where I stopped playing the victim and change my life. I wrote my book because I wanted to use the talent that God has given me to tell my story. 

HC: How do you feel knowing that as of 2016, 36% of college students in the United States are suffering from a form of mental illness?

Alaia: Heartbroken. Mental illness is nothing to play with! It’s so important for us to learn more about our mental health so that we can help others who are struggling. So many people are fighting battles that other know nothing about, so maybe if we learned more about mental illness we could help change more lives. 

HC: What advice would you give to those silently struggling with depression?

Alaia: Hmm…I was first say to get over the embarassment and seek help. There is no embarassment in being depressed. Attend therapy, find a hobby, go to counselling, and know that no one thing is going to get you better. You have to do these things collectively if you want to change your life. Life is not do or die, you are fearfully and wonderfully made by God, and you are enough! Keep your head up, you don’t have to hate who you are. If you can go to sleep knowing that when you wake up you will still be you, and be confident in that, you’re making progress. The Lord God has really changed my life. Before, I felt so much dispare and sorrow, but now I can honestly say I love the woman I’m becoming. Even if I can only save one life, I’d be satisfied.

After hearing her story it’s safe to say that Alaia is beyond strong, she’s a true super-woman and is effortlessly the epitomie of Black girl magic. In the spring of 2017 you can be on the lookout for the release of her new mini series mini series tiled “Urban Sister.” Connect with her on social media and learn how you can purchase your copy of her latest novel!