Costumes for the Creatively Challenged

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OSU chapter.

It’s getting to that spooky time of year that we all know and love, Halloween. The process of choosing what to dress up as always lasts the entire month, at least it does or me. Instead of shifting through Pinterest and the endless Google search that is “unique Halloween costumes,” your resident style blogger has put together the perfect list complete with costume ideas and where to find them so you can wear them again (no tacky Halloween store needed).

We received a Back-to-School Survival Kit from the head Her Campus office this past week and there were some adorable little Nasty Gal buttons inside. I was instantly inspired to write them into a post, especially since I had just gotten an email from the company about getting “Halloweird” with their new section online. This site is perfect if you want to dress like Ariana Grande or (exactly) like Iggy Azalea, go mod or retro, or just add a little twist to the classic cat. And you don’t have to stick to the “Halloweird” section to find the perfect piece because the site it full of great styles. There’s no doubt about it, “Nasty Gals do it better”. 

Shop Nasty Gal here

For those who are looking to recreate the 80’s or are channeling Katy Perry in her music video, “Roar,” American Apparel is the place for you. Known for having perfect basics and the best crop yops all around, you can’t go wrong with any of these pieces. I’ve even seen people dress up as Troll dolls using their clothing. Because it’s so plain, you can add anything you want to spruce them up, the possibilities are endless. And they usually have a great sale on their Halloween essentials as well as look books showing you how to style their products for the holiday.

Shop American Apparel here

It goes without saying, but thrift stores of any kind are perfect for Halloween if you are going for a more DIY look. I once went as Tom Cruise from Risky Business and all I needed for that was a men’s dress shirt that I got for $3 at GoodWill. My favorite place to look for costumes is at Flower Child in the Short North. They have an amazing array of clothing for any character you could think of. You and your roommates wanting to be the Spice Girls? They have dresses for that. More of a Marilyn and Audrey kind of girl? Just need something that looks like a costume? They have something for you too. With endless accessories to finish off the look, this store is a one stop shop for all of your last minute Halloween needs.

Info on Flower Child here

When in doubt, adding fake blood to whatever you are wearing is always a quick fix.

Julie is a Senior at The Ohio State University pursuing degrees in Fashion and Retail and Business. A lover of all things fashion from a young age, she loves having the chance to write the style blog for the site as well as being the chapter's President. When she is not writing, she loves singing in Ohio State's Women's Glee Club, updating her style blog, and online shopping when she should be doing homework. After graduation, Julie hopes to become a celebrity stylist or work in the fashion department of a magazine. Visit thelookinthemirror.blogspot.com for more from Julie.