Colin Hall, ’13

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OSU chapter.

In college, we are destined to meet all sorts of stereotypes. You know, the people we knew we were going to meet even before we entered college.  There are the frat guys, the religious girls, the neo-hippie guys, etc.  But where are all the people who don’t fit right into a packaged stereotype?  Fortunately, the size of OSU’s campus ensures a myriad of unique people, and the OSU’s Campus Cutie of the week proves it.  Colin Hall is unique.  When not being every girl’s GBF (Gay Best Friend), Colin’s intelligence, interests, and passions ranks him as one of the most interesting people I have ever met.

Name: Colin Ryan Hall

Year: Second Year Transfer Student

Hometown: Columbus, Ohio

Relationship Status: Single

Major: Nutrition and Dietetics

AW: Why did you decide to transfer to Ohio State?
CH: I used to go to Ohio University for advertising, but even though I am good at advertising, I hated everything about the industry.  I also needed to be in a city.  And of course, there are not enough cute boys at OU.

AW: What advice would you give to transfer students?
CH: Get involved on campus, and don’t feel shy about introducing yourself to people.  Be friendly.  It’s not too hard to meet people.

AW: What is something unique about you?
CH: I am vegan.  I am also allergic to metal.  I have red hair, but I am not a ginger.

AW: Why did you become a vegan?
CH: I am disgusted with the way American food industry works.  I don’t believe human beings are intended to consume lactose because of all the species in the world; we are the only one that drinks another species milk.  In fact, I have become lactose intolerant since becoming a vegan, which says something about the ability of our bodies to consume lactose.

AW: How has being a vegan impacted your life?
CH: I am much more conscious about what I am eating.  I used to have terrible allergy problems and this spring, I didn’t have any allergy problems.  I feel better in general because the food I am eating is very good for me.

AW: What are you passionate about?
CH: Running, learning, and acquiring knowledge.  I am especially passionate about learning about sustainable living.  I volunteer at a nonprofit called Local Matters, a place focusing on providing local food for inner city areas.  I believe nutritious local food should be available to all of us.

AW: What are your favorite activities?
CH: Running and reading.  Riding my bike around the city, especially up and down High Street, because I can race cars and usually beat them.

AW: Who is your celebrity crush?
CH: Definitely Kate Winslet and Nicholas Hoult (Tony from British Skins).

AW: What advice would you give girls about love?
CH: Be a lady, meaning have respect for yourself.  If you don’t have respect for yourself and don’t present yourself well, no one would take you seriously, and you would be nothing but an object to guys.  Also try to act classy and be a little fiery.

Kali Grant is the founding Editor-in-Chief and Campus Correspondent for the OSU chapter of Her Campus. Kali is pursuing a B.A. in Public Affairs at the John Glenn School with a minor in Communication and is excited to be in her senior year. Kali is a student research assistant at the Glenn School and is a proud member of the Zeta Alpha chapter of Chi Omega. Kali has spent her collegiate summers interning with The Institute on Women and The Salvation Army and studying Spanish in Buenos Aires, Argentina. When she’s not daydreaming about returning to New Orleans and San Francisco, Kali loves drinking coffee, talking about cats and politics, and trying out questionable vegetarian recipes.