Choosing a Major in College: the Top Three Things Every Collegiette™ Needs to Know!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OSU chapter.

Chances are, many of you reading this are currently undecided about your major, or are thinking about switching majors.  If so, you’re probably pretty overwhelmed at the idea of having to choose one of the 160 majors offered at Ohio State.  But, you should know that you aren’t alone.  Studies show that up to 75% of collegiettes™ will be in the same boat at some point or another.  So, how do you make the decision?  Most importantly, you should remember that you can avoid a lot of stress by thinking it through rationally and staying calm.  Here are the top three things you should remember as you narrow down your options and work towards declaring a major!

1. Choosing a major is not the same as choosing a career!

There is a very common misconception among college students that if they don’t major in something like Business or Engineering, they won’t be able to get a job.  This could not be farther from the truth!  Majors such as English, Philosophy, and History often get a bad “rep” since they don’t lead to one specific career.  But in truth, any major can lead you to hundreds of different career paths.  You could major in History and end up working in Marketing, or you could major in Women’s Studies and go on to Law School.  Employers don’t usually hire people based on what they majored in (with the exception being specific jobs like Accounting and Nursing).  People get hired because they have shown that they are knowledgeable in a wide variety of areas and will be able to adapt well in a professional environment.  In fact, employers often prefer students with diverse backgrounds, as they bring a new perspective and fresh insight.  To help narrow down your choices, consider thinking about some things you might enjoy doing in the future.  But, don’t stress if you aren’t sure what you want to do after graduation—most people do not end up working in a field that is directly related to their college major!

2. Pick something you like!

This is probably the one thing that most people forget about when they are choosing a major.  It is supposed to be something you enjoy!  You are going to be taking about half of all your classes in the area of your major, and your college experience will be much happier if you major in something you are interested in.  If you like your classes, you will likely get better grades, and will be a more competitive applicant for jobs or admission to graduate schools!

3. Keep it in Perspective.

As much as it seems like picking a major it is the biggest decision in the world, it isn’t!  Keep in mind that at Ohio State and most other universities, you have until the end of sophomore year to declare your major!  Focus on taking classes that interest you, and think about which ones you enjoy and look forward to the most.  Talk to your friends who are majoring in things you are interested in about what kinds of classes they are taking.  Visit your professors during office hours to talk to them about the department they work in.  Research people whose professions you are drawn to, and see how they got to where they are and what they studied in school; oftentimes you will be surprised at what you discover!  Also, visit your advisor regularly, as they are your most valuable resource when it comes to navigating your academic career.  Overall, no matter what you major in, the best thing you can do to make yourself competitive when applying for jobs or further schooling is to work hard, get good grades, and get involved in things that interest you!  Good luck!

Sources

The College Board, “Major Myths” http://www.collegeboard.com/student/csearch/majors_careers/151170.html

Penn State University, “ Major Decisions” http://dus.psu.edu/md/mdintro.htm

College Parents of America, “What Do Employers Want from Your College Student?”
http://www.collegeparents.org/blog/2011/02/20/what-do-employers-want-your-college-student-liberal-education

Kali Grant is the founding Editor-in-Chief and Campus Correspondent for the OSU chapter of Her Campus. Kali is pursuing a B.A. in Public Affairs at the John Glenn School with a minor in Communication and is excited to be in her senior year. Kali is a student research assistant at the Glenn School and is a proud member of the Zeta Alpha chapter of Chi Omega. Kali has spent her collegiate summers interning with The Institute on Women and The Salvation Army and studying Spanish in Buenos Aires, Argentina. When she’s not daydreaming about returning to New Orleans and San Francisco, Kali loves drinking coffee, talking about cats and politics, and trying out questionable vegetarian recipes.