stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Best Self Tanners of 2014

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OSU chapter.

Not able to bake in the scalding hot sun this winter? Yeah, me neither. Luckily there is hope for all of us with the recent advances in the self-tan industry. I’m Irish and God has blessed me with a type of translucent skin that remains just one shade darker than notebook paper. It doesn’t tan and it doesn’t burn. It’s really quite magical. Hence, this is the reason why I am an avid self tanner and self-proclaimed expert in the field. I have tested basically every brand and medium in the industry. Yes, I have been orange quite a number of times, but this hasn’t stopped me from finding the best looking and most long lasting products out there! Now I’m sharing my knowledge with all you self-tan virgins. Here we go.

This is my natural skin color (sorry for the insta filter, but you get the point; I’m pale). I’m on the left.

#4 Jergens Natural Glow Daily Moisturizer in Medium/Tan

Target $7.19

This is a great moisturizer as well as a great gradual tanner. It will give you nice color if used two days in a row. It comes out of the bottle looking like a white lotion. So, you can put it on during the day and go out without looking like an oompa loompa. It does have a slightly unpleasant smell to it, but nothing to be too worried about. This is a great product for when you want a bit of color but don’t have the patience to wait eight hours for it to develop. The down side to this product is that it only lasts for two-three days, then you will have to reapply.

#3 Sun Laboratories Dark Sunsation Self Tanning

Amazon $23.99

This product comes out of the bottle in a dark brown color. It has green undertones, so it won’t make you look orange. It gives you a dark tan after eight hours of developing. However, you need to apply this product at night after you have showered and exfoliated because you will look like a different species due to the instant bronzer. When you wake up and rinse off, you will be a bronze goddess. Your initial dark tan will last for about three days. After three days it will begin to fade, and by the fifth day it will be completely gone.

#2 Million Dollar Tan Cabana Tan Extreme Lotion 8oz

Million Dollar Tan $38.00

Million dollar tan comes in really cute packaging. Aside from the packaging, this is a great long-lasting product that gets you really dark from just one application. The photo below is me after two applications. I was super dark. This tan comes out of the bottle white, then after eight hours morphs into a deep tan. I would apply this at night because it takes a while to develop and does have a slightly unpleasant smell after it develops. Rinse off in the morning and you will be a golden brown color. This tan lasts the longest. I would say about four or five days of full color.

#1 Xen-Tan Dark Lotion Absolute Luxe

Xen-Tan $56

This is my absolute favorite tanning product. It comes out of the bottle in a dark brown color and glides on smoothly with a self-tanning mitt. It smells like chocolate when first applied. It develops in eight hours. Once you wake up you will have a brown tan. No orange. This is the most natural looking tan I have found. It lasts about  four days, but the color is to die for. The photo below is me with one application.

Now go get your self tan on!

Hi everyone, my name is Brooke! Throughout my years of growing up, I have discovered that I am completely obsessed with beauty and makeup. I cannot begin to tell you how much money I have blown on mascara, blush, and eyeliner, but I can tell you that I don’t regret purchasing any of it. Some may call me a product junkie, but that’s just who I am. Makeup makes me happy. I don’t know why, it just does! Twitter&Instagram: b_sabes