Banish the Bad Talk!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OSU chapter.

If I had a penny for each time I heard a friend or fellow roommate utter a negative comment directed at themselves, I could have paid my and my prospective children’s college tuition by now (mind you, I am only a second quarter freshman).  I know this isn’t a phenomenon that is just happening within my social group nor even just the scope of our school—it’s universal.  Constant pressure from peers/media reinforces this self-hatred that is affecting women worldwide.  But, enough is enough; the bashing needs to stop.

Media does a great job (cue the irony) of teaching us that we’re not “good enough.”  TV, movies, magazines, etc. all sell their own definitions of beauty—and if your body can’t be swapped out for Jennifer Aniston’s body double, it’s still no reason to punish yourself with a hateful string of comments.  If you’re unhappy with the extra holiday weight creating an unflattering bulge in your favorite jeans then, take action—but do it in a way that is respectful to your body: exercise and healthy eating!  Through these actions, really stop and take the time to appreciate your legs, arms, abs, etc. for being able to perform in such a manner.  Standing in the mirror with your friends aching about how you wish you could be more toned or get rid of those pesky 5 extra pounds isn’t going to A) Do either of those things or B) Make you feel any better about the beautiful person you actually are.  So, the next time you get lazy and skip a workout, instead of stressing enough to create a new pimple before the weekend (more unneeded stress), make a promise that you’ll get to the gym tomorrow and go hard to make up for the lost time. 

Unfortunately, negative self-image isn’t the only kind of hate talk girls flood their minds with.  I also hear endless comments pertaining to grades and schoolwork as well.  If you put in all the effort you had, spent countless hours at the library (and no, Facebook stalking doesn’t factor into those hours), and did the best you were capable of, then there’s no reason to feel ashamed even if you didn’t end up with the grade you were aiming for.  Don’t worry about and compare yourself to Sally Smartpants either, who hasn’t studied a day in her life—she is the exception to the rule (I’m convinced these kind of people only exist to piss the rest of us hardworking gals off).  Instead, continue to work hard and put in any extra effort you have time for/feel is necessary and eventually your laborious work WILL be rewarded, whether it’s that A you were hoping for or an extra $10 from the ‘rents.  Bottom line: do what YOU need to do (even if that means studying way more than anyone else to get that grade), and you can only feel proud about yourself. 

Even though we know it is hard, it is so important to keep a positive image about yourself, especially living in an environment as taxing as college is.  Learning to love yourself can help deal with the daily stressors life throws your way every second.  Instead of focusing on the non-existent arm fat “flabbing in the wind,” learn to love your arms for being able to carry your overstuffed tote full of books to class (and you can give your brain a HUGE thank you after sitting through an hour and a half lecture on a Friday morning).  So, join me, collegiettes™, in banishing the bad talk and truly learning to love ourselves!

P.s.—For more inspiration, check out Seventeen’s Body Peace Project on www.seventeen.com for a steady network of women (including celebrities) who have vowed to make peace with their body.  Don’t forget to sign the pledge!

Photo 1 Source:
http://www.google.com/imgres?q=body+peace&hl=en&biw=1271&bih=622&gbv=2&t…

Photo 2 Source:  http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lxhp65H6RG1r9jkkgo1_500.jpg

Kali Grant is the founding Editor-in-Chief and Campus Correspondent for the OSU chapter of Her Campus. Kali is pursuing a B.A. in Public Affairs at the John Glenn School with a minor in Communication and is excited to be in her senior year. Kali is a student research assistant at the Glenn School and is a proud member of the Zeta Alpha chapter of Chi Omega. Kali has spent her collegiate summers interning with The Institute on Women and The Salvation Army and studying Spanish in Buenos Aires, Argentina. When she’s not daydreaming about returning to New Orleans and San Francisco, Kali loves drinking coffee, talking about cats and politics, and trying out questionable vegetarian recipes.