Amanda’s Adventures in Spain: the Art of Getting Lost

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OSU chapter.

I made a pact with myself when I got here to Granada, and that was that I would find out something new about this city every day.  So far, I have kept this pact.  In fact, I think I could live here for years and the city would never stop surprising me.  But that’s only because I’ve been taking the time and making the effort to explore—because when I look back on this trip, I know that many of the images that will stick out to me are the little things, like a quiet side street that I happened to glance down, or the view of the sun shining over the rooftops when I trekked up a hilly street.  These little inconsequential snapshots of life are what I consider to be the best memories, the ones that my mental camera will capture and store.  Well, to have these little moments for yourself, and to truly master the art of exploring, I have found only one really effective strategy that works: get lost.

Yes, you read that right: get lost.  Now, obviously, before I start explaining this, I’d like to make a disclaimer: you should not go wandering the city without a real purpose or a destination if you live in an unsafe area, or at hours of the day that are unsafe.  I’m talking about doing this in a safe, clean city (like Granada) or area in the middle of the day, when people are out, the sun is shining, and you have lots of time.  And for added safety, bring a friend.  Also, before you “get lost,” it’s always a good idea to talk to someone who knows the city for any warnings of areas you should avoid.  You should also familiarize yourself with the basic cardinal directions and any landmarks (tall points on the skyline are helpful because they can be seen from far away) that will help you orient yourself when you need to get back home.  If you are new to the language of the area, learn some vocabulary about directions—for example, how to say right, left, straight, etc.—and also some of the names of major areas that you know, so that if you have to ask for directions you can understand what people are telling you.  And most importantly, use common sense at all times—this is your most important tool, even more important than your map.

Ah yes, the map.  I have heard lots of people say things along the lines of, “Don’t consult your map on the streets; it automatically draws attention to the fact that you’re a foreigner.”  And I agree with this—up to a point.  For example, I wouldn’t recommend getting dressed up and walking around in your clubbing dress and then stopping to consult your map late at night in a dark alleyway when there are strangers lurking in nearby doorways.  But I personally have no shame in consulting my map as often as I like during the day when the other people are out and about.  In fact, without it, I don’t think I would have nearly as good of an understanding of this city as I do now.  The map helps me link all of the little streets and areas into one big picture.  It helps me understand how things connect and the general layout of the city.  I like to consult my map before and after I go exploring, so that my little wanderings actually mean something and have some context.  It’s like taking little puzzle pieces and linking them together—if you get to know your map, pretty soon you’ll have your own mental map in your head and you won’t need to carry it nearly as much.

So now … how does one go about getting lost?  Well, it’s pretty easy.  All you have to do is pick a direction, any direction, and start walking.  Once you start walking, go wherever you’re drawn to.  If a street looks nice, if there is a house that catches your eye, if you see an interesting store—don’t hesitate.  Go there.  Follow your whims.  You won’t regret it. In fact, you’ll not only feel good about the exercise you get, you’ll undoubtedly have several “wow” moments where you stumble upon some secret place that you can call your own, or an “aha” moment where something clicks and you suddenly understand the geography of the city a little bit better.  When you start to get really lost, or feel it’s time to turn around, pull out your map.  Consult street signs, ask locals, look for landmarks—and then find your way back.  Half the fun is figuring out how to get home.  I guarantee you’ll gain a whole new respect for where you live, and you’ll probably discover a few new places on the way.  And don’t forget your camera!

If you don’t feel comfortable just setting foot outside your door, or if it’s not logical in the area you live in, you can try a few more strategies that work just as well:

1.    Set out with a specific destination in mind that you’ve never been to before.  For example, if you’re living with a family, you should take advantage of this resource; many families have lived in the area for decades, and they are goldmines of information about the city.  Ask them about pretty, unique streets or areas of the city, or cool places to eat, and then go try to find them.

2.    Find out something you didn’t know about the area you DO know.  Oftentimes, you can gain a great amount of knowledge just by sticking around your own living quarters—explore every inch of the surrounding area so you know where shops, post offices, and fun places to eat are.

3.    Create your own shortcuts.  For example, if you need to be somewhere and are tired of taking the same old boring path every day, give yourself lots of extra time and walk in what you know to be the right direction, but take different streets.  You may cut a long commute in half, you may find a cute place to eat or have a drink, or you might just find a more interesting alternative to when you’re tired of walking on the main street all the time.  And I guarantee you that your newfound knowledge will impress your friends AND the locals.

So now you have a few ideas, and it’s time to take advantage of them.  Go for it.  Take a chance—studying abroad is all about going outside of your comfort zone, and about learning as much as you can in the process.  This is another way to do just that.  I myself have stumbled upon some beautiful views, hidden plazas with fountains, some great restaurants, and some scenic detours by following each of these strategies.  The result is that you will gain an entirely new appreciation and perspective on the city you live in.

Below is a shot of a random, peaceful street I stumbled upon during my wanderings:

Kali Grant is the founding Editor-in-Chief and Campus Correspondent for the OSU chapter of Her Campus. Kali is pursuing a B.A. in Public Affairs at the John Glenn School with a minor in Communication and is excited to be in her senior year. Kali is a student research assistant at the Glenn School and is a proud member of the Zeta Alpha chapter of Chi Omega. Kali has spent her collegiate summers interning with The Institute on Women and The Salvation Army and studying Spanish in Buenos Aires, Argentina. When she’s not daydreaming about returning to New Orleans and San Francisco, Kali loves drinking coffee, talking about cats and politics, and trying out questionable vegetarian recipes.