Style > Beauty

Aerie’s New Marketing Redefines Real Beauty

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OSU chapter.

With spring break coming up and the new Victoria Secret catalog coming out, girls’ self-esteem is basically at an all-time low. We start counting calories and wondering what it will take to look like Candice Swansepol. Well, ladies, put down that lemon water because a breath of fresh air is coming from the marketing of American Eagle’s lingerie brand Aerie.

Aeries’ new focus is all about REAL beauty. To go along with this campaign, Aerie is no longer air brushing their models, keeping everything from the girls’ natural shape to tattoos. They are also picking real women wearing sizes A-DD. Showing real women is proving to have a multitude of benefits starting with the fact that shoppers can actually see what the clothes will look like on their real, un-airbrushed bodies! I always wondered why my Bombshell bra looked different on me than on Candice … I always thought it was my lack of sun-kissed skin.

Aerie marketing director Dana Seguin explained further the importance of this new campaign. She believes firmly that women should be proud of their REAL beauty. Aerie is including an interview of all the women posing in the new adds to show that these women are, in fact, real and have other interests besides laying around in their bras and undies on pure white beds with flowing backdrops. In addition to this, they are encouraging women to post pictures of themselves with #AerieREAL on Instagram and Twitter with a description of what makes them beautiful. After the girls post their pictures, some will be selected to be featured on the brands website in a collage that’s titled “Aerie Real… Share the love because the real you is sexy.”