Abby Waidelich: The Voice of OSU Undergrads

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OSU chapter.

Name: Abby Waidelich: 

Year: Senior

Major: Biological Engineering

Hometown: Zionsville, Indiana 

This week, Her Campus had the honor of speaking with Ohio State’s Vice President of Undergraduate Student Goverment, Abby Waidelich. We aren’t totally sure how she stays calm with all of her fascinating student involvement committments, but we know shes doing great at keeping the Buckeye community happy and proud! 

Her Campus: What activities/clubs/organizations are you involved in at OSU?

Abby Waidelich: Undergraduate Student Government Vice president, Mount Leadership Society, Kappa Delta, Big Ten Network Student Intern

HC: How did you become involved in those and why were you interested in them?
AW: Coming to Ohio State, I wanted to get involved in anything and everything. But realizing that there were hundreds of organizations that I was interested in, it truly wasn’t possible to do “everything.” I was given advice by an upperclassmen when I was a sophomore that to be most successful with leaving a legacy at Ohio State, it’s not about being involved in lots around campus, it’s more about dedicating yourself to one cause. That’s why I decided to dedicate my leadership capabilities to one organization and to one passion of mine, which was advocating on behalf of students to make Ohio State the best it can be. 

HC: What is your favorite memory at Ohio State so far?
AW: My favorite memory is going to Dallas in January 2015 and watching the Buckeyes bring home a National Championship! More importantly, I was able to share this experience with my dad, a fellow Buckeye. 

HC: What is a long-term goal of yours?
AW: A long-term goal of mine is to give back to the people and communities that have given so much to me. From my teachers in high school to the community at Ohio State, I’ve been blessed with so much in my 21-year lifetime, that I want to be able to make the same type of impact in someone else one day.

HC: What are you going to miss most about Ohio State?
AW: I’m going to miss the people and community at Ohio State the most. The type of people you meet at OSU are so unique and passionate because our student body is filled with difference makers. But, lucky enough, with over 500 million living alumni, I don’t think I will have trouble finding fellow Buckeyes after graduation. 

HC: Who do you look up to/admire the most in your life?
AW: Coming from a very large family is hard to pinpoint who I look up to the most, because they are all so successful. However, one person that I will always strive to be is my Grandma Alice, “Grandma A,” for both her whit and love she exemplifies. Everyone should get to know Grandma A because she can put a smile on anyone’s face in seconds of meeting her.

HC: What has been your favorite part of being involved with USG? 
AW: On a daily basis, my favorite part is being surrounded by such passionate people who are all trying to make a difference at Ohio State. Many times our members are putting in hours of work and advocacy for things they will never see a benefit from. That comes from members selflessly doing what is right, not just what is easy. The members of USG are true inspirations and that is absolutely my favorite part of being a part of this organization. 

HC: What has been a major challenge being involved with USG?
AW: One major challenge is being the voice of almost 50,000 undergraduate students. Every single student at Ohio State has a different story to tell and different changes they want in the university. We constantly charge ourselves in USG to go out and hear all 50,000. It’s a daunting task, but it’s a priority to ensure all students concerns are being heard. 

OSU // Journalism // Fashion