This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OSU chapter.

I tend to start out every semester as a star student and as the semester goes on, I slowly start to procrastinate or skip classes. Each semester I tell myself I’m not going to do that again, and then I start a new show on Netflix, and I’m back at square one. With this being my last spring semester of my undergrad, I’m extra motivated and determined to finish out strong. Here are some of my own tips that I think help me be the best student I can be. I hope they make you the best student you can be!

1. Go to bed early

Remember when your parents gave you a bedtime and you absolutely despised it? There was a really good reason behind their rules. According to a study done by the researcers at University of California, students who don’t get enough sleep at night were not only more likely to have problems understanding during class, but they were also more likely to do bad on tests. I notice a huge difference in my ability to pay attention in class and function during the day when I get a good nights sleep. I’m more likely to engage in class, too, which is important for participation points. Watching one more episode of your favorite Netflix show really is a big deal. 

2. Buy an organizer

I am stationary and school supplies obsessed. Buying a new planner each year for me is comparable to getting new clothes or shoes. I love preparing for the semester by getting all of my classes organized in my planner and looking ahead at what the workload of the semester is going to look like. Planners are so important because they help you stay organized and on top of all your assignments and their due dates. I always have a million different things going on in my head, and if I don’t write something down in my planner, I’m going to forget about it. 

3. Read read read

Every semester the teacher tells you to keep up on chapter readings. But if we’re going through the chapter in class, why do I also need to read it? Because you will still be tested on small details that the professor might not have gone over in class. I love to read when it’s a book that I picked out and know I am going to enjoy, which is usually not a textbook. But keeping up with class readings will only help you out in the long run and keep you on track to staying successful all semester. 

4. You will regret skipping that one class

Unless you are terribly ill, or have a real excuse to not be in class, do not skip! Yes we’re always going to be tired, and our beds will be screaming our names to come back, but fight through it and you won’t regret it. I always tell myself that if I don’t go to class, the teacher is going to announce something about a test coming up or maybe give extra credit for being in class that day. And you should never miss out an easy extra credit opportunity like that. You will most likely not ever regret going to class, but you will always regret skipping a class. 

5. Working out

Getting exercise in your daily or weekly routine is really helpful when it comes to relieving stress. Being stressed comes along with being a college student. Even when you think they aren’t stressed or don’t feel stressed, you most likely are. I love that OSU offers the free group fitness classes. They’re really helpful if you’re just starting to work out because there’s an instructor that leads the class and tells you what to do. All of the classes I’ve done are really good workouts and I always feel better after I go. It’s just like skipping class, you will never leave the gym and say “wow, I really regret working out today.” 

6. Balance your work

Doing a little bit of work each night helps to stay on top of things and not procrastinate. 

Have a happy, stress free, successful semester! :)

OSU // Journalism // Fashion