Why it is Okay Not to Study Abroad in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

Thousands of students across the world study abroad during college and have the most amazing and diverse experiences that many of them have never had prior. The thought of getting to familiarize with a new culture, group of people, lifestyle, and not to forget the abundance of delicious food everywhere seems insanely desirable. However, what about those college students who are home bodies, or those who cannot afford? Well, here’s some good news for those students. It’s okay if you don’t study abroad and you shouldn’t be ashamed of it.

First off, studying abroad can be quite expensive. Between flights, weekend adventures, food outlets and drinks, the costs add up. Many students are already paying for college through loans, therefore the plan of traveling abroad on top of that is not realistic. However, that doesn’t mean your dream of studying abroad is dead! It just means traveling abroad during your college day is not the best timing. The future may allow savings for such a trip to come into play.

For those students that are home bodies who love to stay close to family and familiar settings, it is also totally fine for them not to hold a desire to study abroad. Studying or traveling abroad does not have to only be within the four year time span of college. Some individuals enjoy staying in their comfort zone and in the future if they decide to take a leap of faith and try something unfamiliar it should be on their own terms. For many studying abroad during their college years is the most amazing and life changing experience they have ever had. On the other hand, many other student choose not to study abroad during college for financial or comfort reasons. Whether one chooses to study abroad or not, college students should not judge their peers based on their personal decisions and instead uplift one another on their new experiences at home or abroad.

The official Her Campus Oregon account