Why Celebrating Christmas Before Thanksgiving is Totally Okay

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

So all of the Halloween hullabaloo has died down, the air is instantly brisker, and there’s a universally jollier feeling that crowds every room you’re in. Why’s that? It’s Christmastime!

Christmas is approaching, and some seem to completely run over the fact that there’s a whole other holiday on the calendar. Thanksgiving, right there in the middle of everything, gets utterly buried in the ho-ho-ho’s and amount of snow anticipation that Christmas always brings. And apparently a few people think this is pretty awful.

Do I agree? Nope.

I’m a total Christmas fanatic. I love the holidays. Paper snowflakes, holly berries, trees and tree toppers, peppermint mochas, gingerbread, gingerbread lattes, gingerbread everything, you name it. I love it. So why not bring it on early? Sure, it’s almost two months away, but if you turn that around and think about it differently… it’s ONLY two months away. We have such a short amount of time, about 60 days, to full-on celebrate this magical holiday to its potential. And I think that’s enough reason right there.

But there’s definitely more than that to prove why celebrating Christmas should start as early as it does, and it’s specific just to us college kids. Christmas is extremely short lived in the college community. If you plan it out, then you can totally see how little time there actually is on campus to celebrate this jolly time. At UO, we go on Thanksgiving Break on November 26, 2015. We come back, have just about two weeks of school, and then are off anywhere from December 7, 2015 to December 11, 2015. So what does that leave us? A sad, measly 8-12 days to celebrate the festivities. That’s not enough time for a tree! Or hot chocolate. Or presents with your roommates. So when you’re complaining about stores putting out their holiday decorations too soon, think about us college students and our lack of time to use such wonderful things.

Last but not least, Christmas is a time of love, joy, and overall happiness. It’s not complicated. There’s just a happy holiday feeling we all get inside, that makes us feel overjoyed. Why not prolong the happy feeling?! If there’s a reason to feel that way, then so be it. Christmas brings families together, friends back home, pets to our laps, gifts to our loved ones and ourselves, chocolate everywhere, and a warm, fuzzy feeling that everything really is magical.

So why start celebrating Christmas this early? Because it’s worth it! It really is only two months out of the year, it’s even shorter on a college campus, and it’s the season of happiness and joy and love. Is there anything wrong with that? So get out there, drink some peppermint hot chocolate, and wish for some snow.

A proud UO duck who loves to bake, eat, and photograph cupcakes. She also enjoys hiking, laughing, listening to jazz and cello, and all things that have to do with the winter and snow.
The official Her Campus Oregon account