This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

As someone who loves warm weather and sunshine, I can honestly say that the immense amount of rain this fall has really taken a toll on me. Don’t get me wrong, I love rainy days where I can just stay in and cuddle under a warm blanket while I binge-watch Netflix. However, I’m not talking about the random, singular rainy day. I am talking about the record breaking amount of rainfall Oregon has been experiencing this year. If you are a sunshine-loving gal like me then I’m sure you are feeling the effects of all the rain as well.

Thankfully there are a few things we can do to cope with this rain!

1. Explore! Just maybe indoors…

Oregon has a ton of natural beauty. Everyone is always talking about fun hikes, or cool lookout places to go. But when the rain is getting you down and you’re tired of feeling constantly damp, try exploring some dry, indoor places! The rain is a perfect excuse to search for your new favorite coffeeshop or a quirky little bookstore. Don’t let the rain discourage you from going out and exploring, just try redefining your idea of exploration!

2. Get active

Studies have shown that exercise improves your mood. Even though you may not want to take a run outside because you are tired of getting soaked, try running at the gym! Even a little bit of cardio can help you feel better. Rain might get you down, but dont let it stop you from staying active and healthy.

3. Get Your Vitamin D

Vitamin D is produced in your skin in response to sunlight. So, when our bodies don’t see the sun for days on end, you start to lack much needed Vitamin D. Vitamin D serves multiple positive functions, ranging from improving your immune system health to regulating your mood. During the seemingly endless rainy days, you may start to feel tired and generally unwell. That is why it is so important to take either vitamin D pills or eat foods rich in vitamin D, such as eggs and salmon!

4. Make Staying In Fun

Think of staying inside as “nesting”. Light some scented candles and plug in some fun christmas lights. Try baking your favorite treat or putting on your favorite movie. No matter what you do, make sure it makes you feel cozy. Even these little tricks can help distract you from the bleak weather.

5. Get a Happy Light

A Happy Light is a light that emulates daylight. They are supposed to help improve your mood and concentration levels. This tip is a little controversial though–some people swear by these, while others noticed no difference in their mood. Either way, it’s worth trying!

Hopefully these tips help you or give you ideas about how to cope with the crummy weather! Don’t let the rain get you down! 

A current senior at UO, Catie spends most of her time stressing about post-grad plans, or procrastinating by watching HGTV shows (Fixer Upper, anyone?). A self-proclaimed caffeine and candy addict, Catie's loves include puppies and sunshine. You can find her in local coffeeshops or soaking up her last few months in Eugene. 
The official Her Campus Oregon account