What’s In You Backpack and What It Says About You

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

Everyone carries around their backpack to and from classes with all the essential supplies they need to get through the day, but what does what is in your backpack say about you?

Name: Kimmy Duyck

Brand of Backpack: Nike

Thoughts: “Although my classes are scheduled and consistent throughout the term, I never know what I will be doing in between.  With that in mind, I almost always have something from each subject in my backpack incase the rare event happens where I actually have time to work ahead.  I’ll probably end up having back problems when I’m older because of it but at least I have no classes on Fridays!  Along with my books and laptop, I have my earphones and a hairbrush.  Some people may think it’s odd to have a hairbrush in your backpack but I think it’s brilliant!  You never know when the wind might pick up and mess up your hair right before an important meeting with a professor or if you’re running from class to an interview.”

Name: Hannah Engle

Brand of Backpack: North Face

Thoughts: “I keep my planner with me at all times so I know what I’m doing that day, and every day. I also have my notebook and laptop that allows me to take notes during classes and do work in between.”

Name: Zina Al-Mulla

Brand of Backpack: Element

Thoughts: “My backpack follows me around all day so I like to keep a few essentials for class along with a few refreshments to get me through the day. First of all, I don’t know what I would do without my planner. I like to be very organized and plan ahead when it comes to the term so I have colorful felt tip pens to further organize what is written in my planner. Notebooks are pretty standard for taking notes during lectures and the bright colors are my way of adding some spunk to my class load. My trusty, old and falling apart pencil pouch has been a frequent flyer in my backpack since the 6th grade and I refuse to use any other case to carry my pens, pencils and other office supplies. As an advertising major it is essential to have an external hard drive to make it easier to carry around large project files. Hydration is key to concentration so I love to carry around my water bottle along with some Vaseline to keep my lips hydrated during the day. I hate gum; so for minty refreshment I like to keep mints in my bag incase I need to speak to a professor or am a little hungry. Last but not least, I have an addiction to bath and body works products, so naturally I need to carry some deliciously scented hand sanitizer to keep my hands germ free and the cute sparkly packaging is a nice touch in my plain backpack.My backpack follows me around all day so I like to keep a few essentials for class along with a few refreshments to get me through the day. First of all, I don’t know what I would do without my planner. I like to be very organized and plan ahead when it comes to the term so I have colorful felt tip pens to further organize what is written in my planner. Notebooks are pretty standard for taking notes during lectures and the bright colors are my way of adding some spunk to my class load. My trusty, old and falling apart pencil pouch has been a frequent flyer in my backpack since the 6th grade and I refuse to use any other case to carry my pens, pencils and other office supplies. As an advertising major it is essential to have an external hard drive to make it easier to carry around large project files. Hydration is key to concentration so I love to carry around my water bottle along with some Vaseline to keep my lips hydrated during the day. I hate gum; so for minty refreshment I like to keep mints in my bag incase I need to speak to a professor or am a little hungry. Last but not least, I have an addiction to bath and body works products, so naturally I need to carry some deliciously scented hand sanitizer to keep my hands germ free and the cute sparkly packaging is a nice touch in my plain backpack.”

As for a peek into my backpack: I have a Will Leather Goods backpack and I of course carry my notebooks and laptop everywhere I go. Depending on the class I’ll either take notes on my laptop or scribble in my notebook. My planner is essential for me to keep track of different tasks I need to get done or random thoughts and ideas I want written down before I forget. I keep at least one pen, pencil and highlighter, although I never use a pencil unless I’m taking a test. I always carry my water bottle and some type of bar because I have a hectic schedule and don’t often have time to go home between classes and work. Gum and my Eos Lip Balm are a necessity. I also always carry my hard drive everywhere I go, as well as an extra set of batteries; I guess it’s a habit I picked up from being a journalism student. My wallet and a pair of sunglasses are usually in my backpack too. Something interesting I keep in my backpack is a little charm my momma once gave me years ago that says “Confidence” in Japanese calligraphy. I often forget that I keep it in my backpack because it’s so small but whenever I see it, it serves as a good reminder. Overall I try to keep my backpack as light as I can and I’m constantly trying to clean it out and decide what I need to carry with me and what I can do without to have less weight on my shoulders.

The official Her Campus Oregon account