What’s Up with The Hunger Games?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

While many of us collegiettes are getting excited at the thought of finishing up with finals, there’s another reason to celebrate the end of this stressful week we’ve all had. This Thursday night, The Hunger Games will be making its debut in theaters all across the country. Whether familiar with the popular book series by Suzanne Collins or not, it’s impossible not to notice all the attention that’s been surrounding the story of Katniss Everdeen from District 12. For those of you who are already addicted, or if you have yet to understand the hype, there are plenty of reasons to go check out the hottest new film on its opening weekend!

The Story:

While skeptics of the film may be rolling their eyes at the prospect of ‘the next Twilight,’ The Hunger Games excels at maintaining a plot that goes beyond your typical love story. It takes place in the future after the collapse of the United States, which has been replaced by Panem, a country divided into the Capitol and 12 districts. Each year, two young representatives of each district are selected to participate in a fight to the death, with all citizens required to watch. Intense, right? Film director Gary Ross wished to convert this trilogy of ‘young adult novels’ into films that would be able to appeal to a wide audience, and communicate themes of hope, peace, and the fight for justice.  Sounds good to us!

The Eye Candy:

That being said, a little romance is always fun, and the fact that the leading male roles are played by some of the hottest stars in Hollywood is an added plus. Nineteen-year-old Josh Hutcherson is cast as Peeta Mellark, the baker’s son from Katniss’ district who stands alongside her in the Hunger Games arena. Josh has discussed his strong connection to the role, so it will be exciting to see how he portrays the charming and loveable Peeta.

Additionally, Katniss’ hunting partner and closest friend Gale Hawthorne will be played by the talented (and adorable) Liam Hemsworth. Most recognized for his film The Last Song, Hemsworth is sure to swoon us all with Gale’s strong and dependable personality.

Between Peeta and Gale, we’d have a hard time choosing ourselves. It’s apparent that The Hunger Games has plenty of suspense, but come on, who doesn’t enjoy a good love triangle?

The Action (& Fashion!):

The Hunger Games novels have some pretty intense action scenes, and the film is sure to not disappoint. One of Katniss’ strengths in the games is her incredible talent with a bow and arrow. In order to accurately portray this level of skill, actress Jennifer Lawrence trained with a four-time Olympic archer to perfect her form. Can’t wait to see how all that work carries over onto the big screen!

Additionally, those who have read the series are aware that another one of the exciting portions of the story is the intricate costumes. The outfitting of characters plays a vital role in the story, as tributes from the districts are given a makeover by stylists from the Capitol. Over 300 looks were put together for the entire film, and we can’t wait to see all of the Capitol’s eccentric outfits, as well as Katniss’ infamous red presentation dress.

It’s clear that The Hunger Games will be a hit at the box office, and I’m currently counting down the hours until the premiere. Hope to see you all there!

– –

Hayley Stewart is a sophomore at the University of Oregon working toward a career in advertising and multimedia. She finds inspiration from live music, fashion, and interior design, and hopes to inspire people with the work she creates. Her guilty pleasures include reality TV, celebrity gossip, and Italian food. You can follow her on Twitter at @hay_stew or on Tumblr at www.hayleyns.tumblr.com