jazmin quaynor RBtPAOgHxuI unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jazmin quaynor RBtPAOgHxuI unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

What To Get The Boy For Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

Valentine’s Day, Valentine’s Day, Valentine’s Day, what a wide ranged holiday of emotion. It’s both the day for hopeless romantics and cynical Valentine’s Day haters. For some, it’s nothing more than an excuse to wear sweatpants and indulge in a box of chocolates to themselves. But for others, this holiday is a much bigger deal. Whether it’s a crush, a boyfriend, or just a girl’s best friend that is a guy, the almighty question of the month (or year, really) is what is an appropriate gift for a guy on Valentine’s Day. Girls are easy, box of chocolates, jewelry, or just a nice dinner and flowers. But gifts for a guy are more creative, more abstract. Fear not, collegiate, I am here to help cause less stress and more fun this holiday. Here are some great ideas for what to get your special guy this year.

1. Portable Cologne

Cologne is a perfect go-to gift and if you get the small, one or two ounce versions of larger bottles of cologne, they are both cheaper and more accessible for the guy to use in his everyday life. Growing up with three older brothers, I know it’s sometimes awkward to tell a guy when he stinks ;). This gift, regardless of the odor of the guy, is a perfect gateway into changing up their scent or nonchalantly hinting at them using better personal hygiene (hey it’s a win, win if you ask me).

2. Boxers

Regardless of what kind of person you are, people can always use another pair of socks or underwear. Buy him a pair of boxers, maybe two if you’re feeling generous. Many stores have holiday themed undergarments so you can get some with hearts on them to be festive, or casual with some staple colors. This and a card is an inexpensive was to score for a guy on Valentine’s Day especially if you’re in a grey area in the relationship.

3. Shaving/Grooming Kit

Unless you are into someone who has a growing out man bun or has a strong passion for letting their facial hair grow out for multiple months at a time, grooming kits are both a practical and in most cases inexpensive way to get a thoughtful gift for your special someone. Whether or not he needs to shave at the moment you give him the gift, that is a gift that he will be able to use in an every day setting.

4. Clothing

As much as any guy hates to admit it, most of them love getting new clothing, especially when someone else is doing the work we call shopping for them. This can be a great way to vamp up your significant others style or be thoughtful by buying something they had mentioned to you earlier. I usually try to play it safe and get a sweatshirt or flannel because choosing the right size is sometimes difficult with men. It’s also good to keep in mind that the weather is always changing in February and your boyfriend’s pullover hoodie is just not working for him.

5. Something Handmade

Every time I have ever given my boyfriend, brother, or best guy friends a gift, I have always gotten the most positive responses from something that I’ve made myself. Whether it’s something simple like framing a picture of the two of you or more complex like making a scrapbook of you guys, no boy will turn down a gift that they can hold with them for the rest of their lives. This can also be a really inexpensive way to make a gift if you’re trying to save money. Get creative, this would make getting a gift for your special someone less painful than it actually seems. Hey, you could even make a handmade card and get them some chocolates.

The best advice I can give for thinking of a gift idea for a guy is to keep it simple. When I ask most guys what they want for their birthday, Christmas, or pretty much any other holiday, they usually don’t know at first (or at least my brothers never do). Remember, it’s the thought that counts. Valentine’s Day is really about showing the people that you love and care about how much you appreciate having them in your lives. The gift isn’t so much as important as the person that is giving the gift. Stress less this Valentine’s Day and make it one for the books.

My name is Chandler Baker, a senior at the University of Oregon. I am a public relations major and expect to graduate in June 2018 with a Bachelor of Arts from the School of Journalism and Communication. I am addicted to caffeine, concerts, and the outdoors.
The official Her Campus Oregon account