jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

I am one of those people who have a detailed planner, and if I don’t have it with me… I freak out. This is because I do well with keeping a self-set structure, it tricks me into thinking I have control over my life. 

This year, I have started implementing a new aspect to my structure: weekly goals! These goals are completely, and far from academic goal setting. I have been setting goals that will help me grow outside of school and give me a productive, fun project for the week. 

Week 1 of the term, my goal was simple: consume more servings of veggies. It was a success. Instead of watching Netflix, I did some research in my very limited downtime to find out that some Naked juices are a good source of vegetables on the go. At the end of the week I felt like I accomplished something for my overall well-being. 

I find that goal setting has become a mode of self-care. It allows me to check in with what my body or mind needs to get through a busy week of classes, work and everything else that is thrown my way. 

Being able to have a task for the week that is enjoyable and beneficial, also helps me grow more as an individual. My goals are what I want; not what school wants from me, or what society asks of me either. They are goals that I want to achieve.

Week 2 my goal was to say on top of my skin care routine, something that I used to easily push to the side so I could have extra time in the mornings to finish homework. Setting this goal has motivated me to stay more on top of assignments so the morning can be dedicated to personal care. 

These goals make me feel more confident and sure of myself because I am allowing myself to be in control of my own life.

Sareena graduated from the University of Oregon in 2020 with a Bachelor's degree in Social Science and minor in Nonprofit Administration. She is a certified Personal Trainer and Group Fitness Instructor who creates inclusive fitness experiences where every body and mind can feel proud of their accomplishments! She is currently a full-time personal trainer and coach in Southern California! Sareena hopes to empower Her Campus readers with her voice and chronicle the realities that comprise post-grad life.  You can find her on instagram, @seedswithsareena. If you want to try one of her workouts, find Seeds with Sareena on Youtube!
The official Her Campus Oregon account