This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

Although “This is Us” is a fairly new show on television (whether you watch it or not yet), everyone seems to know that it’s a big deal. For those who do watch it you all already know how amazing the show is. But for those of you who don’t watch it yet, I want to give you some incentive to give it a try. There are so many reasons as to why “This is Us” is so popular and some are more obvious than others.

If any of you enjoyed the show Parenthood, then good news for you!

I’m not kidding guys, if any of you out there watched and loved the incredible show Parenthood that was discontinued you will easily LOVE this show. It has very similar fundamentals as Parenthood did. It followed one main family, and each sibling/counterpart of the family was followed around with their own unique stories. Yet somehow at the end of everything it all came back around and connected. It is also similar in that the show deals with all real life situations in a way that feels so authentic, you won’t want to stop watching.

Doesn’t hold back (on any of the feels)

Being honest here- I literally tear up during every episode, and no it’s not all sad. The show deals with real life family situations and does not hold back any details or raw emotion that come along with it. The actors are truly amazing. They are able to show all parts of life and growing up, the good and the bad with such integrity and authenticity. You become to feel as though you are part of the family and after each episode wish you actually were. There is some major #goals in this family dynamic and you can’t help but love each one of the characters. They are so connected the main female roles even accidentally showed up to the SAG Awards all wearing the exact same color. Talk about being on the same wavelength, how could you not love them?!

Recently won numerous awards

I try and keep up with all of the award shows in general but this year “This is Us” dominated the categories. The show won numerous deserving recognitions for the entire show itself and for individual performances. This year alone Sterling K. Brown (who plays Randall in the show) has won an Academy Award as well as a SAG award (Screen Actors Guild Award) for best performance in a television series and outstanding performance in a drama series. The entire show itself won a SAG award for best performance by an entire ensemble. Any show with this many awards deserves to be watched, am I right?

Breaks the mold

The show is also very conscious of making everyone aware of difficult situations that involve inclusivity. From showing the ups and downs of what it’s like to be adopted into a new family, to breaking gender norms. The show is able to show the male characters in very vulnerable situations and women in power roles without any of it feeling forced.

Relatable to almost all age groups

If you are still on the fence about starting to watch “This is Us” just know that the show is very relatable for many age groups. The show tells stories through numerous flashbacks starting as far back as the 1950’s. As well as showing different time periods there is also great exposure to the type of culture people experienced during those times. The show really encompasses a lot of different time frames and locations, as well as a slew of interconnected relationships. Everyone will find something to enjoy!

cover photo courtesy of Entertainment Weekly

Hi there! I'm glad you made it to my page! My name is Gillian George, and I am a junior/incoming senior at the University of Oregon. I am currently getting into the Advertising program of the Journalism Major and have a minor of business. Writing and photography are my two biggest passions in life, I have been taking portriats for  a few years now and I am trying to create a small business out of it! I love talking to people and helping people with any sort of situation. I grew up surrounded by my family who all work in the medical field, and I enjoy educating people on womens health so if you have any questions feel free to ask away! I also love food, traveling, and a good mystery television show or movie!
The official Her Campus Oregon account