UO Acrobatics and Tumbling: Lauren Loos

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

While sipping tea at a campus café on a foggy Friday morning, Lauren Loos has the appearance of someone without a care in the world. She has an evervescent smile and confident demeanor that is opposite of the chilly weather outside. With the calm that radiates from her, one would not expect that not only is she a full time student, she is a member of Allen Hall Advertising, a media planner for New Venture Championship, and devotes around 20 hours a week to the U of O Acrobatics and Tumbling team. This is one young woman who is motivated, dedicated, and somehow finds a way to remain composed and cheerful with a plate that has been back to the buffet for thirds and fourths. Meet this week’s campus celebrity, Lauren Loos.

HCO: For those of us who don’t know, what exactly is acrobatics and tumbling?

Acrobatics and tumbling is a discipline of gymnastics, just like the vault or trampoline, basically we have a team of 36 girls–24 compete, and there are 4 alternates that can step in for different parts except fo the team routine at the end. There are nine heats in a meet and everything is timed. Basically, we do a bunch of flips on the floor and have to land them and be synchronized. The scoring is really tough. There’s acro where we throw girls in the air and catch them, or build on top of ourselves up in levels, and a lot of it is technique. The last routine is a combination of acro and flipping for 2.5 minutes–it’s often described as the fireworks at the end of the show.

HCO: When did you first become interested in gymnastics? And when did you actually begin?

I started tumbling when I was about 5 years old. I was in gym until 8, and went to strictly tumbling for about 2 years and then did competitive cheer–which was more athletic than cheerleading is seen as. Then I was recruited by the coach here at Oregon my senior year. I came up on a recruiting trip here and loved it. Coming here was the best decision I ever made.

HCO: Did you ever play any other sports?

I played soccer for eight years in 1st through 8th grade and when I was a freshman in high school I had to make the decision between playing in high school or continuing my gymnastics outside of school on a club team. It was a really hard choice, I had to decide what I could get a scholarship in. At that point, me and my parents didn’t even know about acro and tumbling so it was just a blessing that we made that decision. I did the cheer team for a while, but it was more drama than athelticism.

HCO: The Acrobatics and Tumbling team has gone to the national competition the past two years and taken the title, did you know you were destined to compete at the national level?

That was always my dream. Growing up I always wanted to be at a school competing for them. Freshman year we went to competitive cheer competitions and we were so out of place. Nike made us skorts because we had to weart skirts and we looked ridiculous–strong arms and strong legs in these tanks–doing all these crazy acro things and people were shocked. The reputation the cheer world has is pretty crazy and we just didn’t fit in. For awards we decided to tuck out skorts in, this is on television, these yellow spandex. Sophomore year and junior year we won the Inagural Acro and Tumbling Championship. The second one was against Baylor and we won against Maryland. Every year the schools get better and better.

HCO: What does it feel like to be “the best in the nation” at acro and tumbling?

It keeps you on your game, because now you’re on top and the only way you can go is down or stay where you are. It’s more fun to be the underdog though, it makes you have more drive. But being the best holds you accountable for the rings on your hand and makes you accountable for wearing them. It’s amazing. I am still shocked by it every day.

HCO: When does your season begin and end?

Our season starts in the winter and goes through spring. It started in February this year and is going through April. it used to be January through the beginning of April, but this year we pushed it back so everyone could come back and get in shape. What kind of training does the team do? We’re always lifting, always running, and a lot is technique.

HCO: How long are practices?

We have practices 5 days a week for 3 hours and then we lift for 1.5 hours 2-3 days a week.We get Wednesdays and Saturdays off to give our bodies a day of recovery in the middle of the week. It also works out because Wednesday is when I have Allen Hall Advertising meeting.

HCO: What is the team dynamic like? Do you spend time with each other outside of training?

There’s times when we’re here before school starts that we do our meals together and we’re always early to practice hanging out in the locker room or facility before practice. We spend a lot of time together travelling, too. We’re all sisters, we’re all really close. We’ll go to movies or out to dinner. But there’s 36 of us so it’s hard to get everyone in the same place unless it’s scheduled, but we’re all really close and each year I’ve been here we get closer. This senior class is the first one that’s been together all four years so that’s going to be really hard when the season ends.

HCO: Your boyfriend is also an athlete at the collegiate level playing basketball for a Puerto Rican League at the University of the Virgin Islands. Do you think that athleticism is something that brought you together, or helps you understand each other better?

I feel like we both grew together as athletes and college students, I feel like if we weren’t both on the exact same page, doing a long distance relationship would not have worked out. We have practices at the same times–even with the time difference–we both have class, we’re both tired, and even if we’re not exactly on the same page we understand so that helps a lot. But it’s gotta be balanced. If my boyfriend Max were here there would be no way I could do it all, so it’s kind of the best scenario even though I miss him.

HCO: You’re currently a senior studying advertising and business, what are your post-grad plans?

I’m keeping my eye out for opportunities and beginning to write applications and trying to figure out what I really want to do. I know I’m going to go into it knowing what I start out with is not what I might be extremely passionate about, and I’ll be willing to work my way up. Even though I’m an advertising major, everyone goes through the process of finding out what they really want to do. I’m trying to enjoy these months. As much work that needs to be done, you need to enjoy your youth. If I could do anything, I would love to be a part of a professional athletes team, whether its marketing, sales, management–anything in the business aspect. In the future I want to own my own small business. My mom has done that while I’ve grown up and it’s inspiring to have a strong female like that.

HCO: What three items would you bring with you on a deserted island?

Max, probably my cell phone if it works, and my blanket that I’ve had since I was born.

HCO: If you could eat any meal for the rest of your life, what would it be?

Pasta, all day every day.

And with that, Lauren is off to have a Skype conference with her dad to write a cover letter, head to the Hilton to meet with the NVC team, and then on to practice after that–a smile spreading across her face as she takes on yet another packed day.

The U of O Acrobatics and Tumbling Team has their first meet on March 2nd at 2:00 p.m. in Matt Knight Arena. Entry is free for students. These women are truly some of the most athletic people, watching their routines and stunts is impressive to say the least. Check out their website for more information and to view some videos.

Rebecca is a senior at the School of Journalism and Communication at the University of Oregon. She is currently studying photography and magazine journalism. Hailing from the mountain town of Bend, Oregon, Rebecca values being outdoors, staying active, and the beauty in simple things. She loves seeing what other people are exploring in their fashion and finding new trends. Rebecca is a lover of all things creative, spontaneous, stylish, and interesting.