yulia chinato fWTwGRXQzI8 unsplash
yulia chinato fWTwGRXQzI8 unsplash

Trending: The Capsule Wardrobe

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

The only thing that’s trending faster than faux fur, fall colors and leather boots is the capsule wardrobe. Comprised of 30-40 of your signature and statement pieces, the purpose of the capsule wardrobe is to reduce the chaos of your closet by organizing your favorite pieces based on the season. 

According to Caroline Rector of Unfancy, the brilliant mind behind the capsule wardrobe movement, “a mini wardrobe is made up of really versatile pieces that you totally love to wear.” For fall that could mean your favorite pair of denim, a faux fur vest, a pair of ankle booties, a vintage leather jacket, your boyfriend’s flannel and a comfy casual v-neck T-shirt. The goal is to compile your favorite pieces matched with a few basics so that you have a concise collection to refer to when throwing an outfit together in the morning. 

WhoWhatWear.com published an article in the spring that discussed the benefits of the capsule wardrobe. Not only does this wardrobe method allot additional time in your morning routine, it also preserves energy for the rest of your day. With the capsule wardrobe, you can quickly throw together an outfit that is fashionable and comfortable in a few short minutes before heading to work or to class. 

Here’s how it works:

1) Towards the end of the season, plan a shopping extravaganza. It might also be helpful to outline a list of what you need and what you want. Either way, be sure to have an idea of what you’re looking for and what pieces you’re most excited to add to your wardrobe. 

2) Begin pulling your favorite pieces. Rector suggests 30-40 pieces to sustain your wardrobe capsule, but find a balance of what works best for you. Your collection should include clothes, shoes and outerwear. 

3) For roughly three months, this capsule will take the place of your enormous closet and be your go-to! Mix and match different pieces and utilize each aspect of your wardrobe to create a variety of fun, fall outfits. 

For inspiration or outfit ideas, check out Caroline’s blog or Instagram

cincinnati raised -- go redlegs. spending this chapter of my life exploring the pacific northwest. inspired by laughter, adventure, unfamiliar things & spontaneity.university of oregon, class of 2016. journalism major always searching for new experiences. finding the unseen magic of the world through a camera lens.to see more of my work, visit my personal blog: https://libbybartley.wordpress.com/
The official Her Campus Oregon account