Traveling Abroad: What I Learned in France

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

This past summer I spent six weeks in France. Upon my return the two most common questions my friends and family asked were, “How was France?” and, “What was your favorite thing about France?” My responses were always an impulse selection between the words “incredible” or “awesome” and “everything,” respectively.

It might appear that I’m a bit of a snob, but I swear that is not my intent. The truth is, I don’t know a quick, single-sentence response to either of those questions. France was… indescribable. I left America with mediocre expectations; but my experience abroad surpassed everything I ever imagined.

My study abroad program was located in Angers, France; it focused on the French language and culture. I chose France because I started studying the French language when I was 12 and I made it a life goal to visit the country. That, and I received eight upper-division elective credits for a four-week program. Two birds, one trip to Europe. I left knowing I’d achieve a “bucket list” dream and gain some college credits, but I did not expect to gain memories worth so much more.

France taught me independence. Not that I’m a completely dependent person in the first place, I’m an only child with an innate desire for independence. But France was my first opportunity to live for myself. I fulfilled my daily responsibilities at school, and after school the city was my playground. I spent a lot of time alone exploring the town and some of my best experiences abroad were based on decisions I made solo. I explored an entire château (castle) unaccompanied and took some of the best photos I have ever shot. I brought that “live-your-life” attitude back to Oregon with me and I’ve never been happier.

I learned to trust myself abroad. I have always been a doubter – I have a constant need to second-guess myself, even when I’m 99 percent positive I’m correct. However, thousands of miles away from my family and close friends I learned that the only person I could rely on was myself. So all of those gut-instinct decisions like, “Is this the correct road to turn right on?” or “Is this street vendor trying to rip me off?” and, of course, “Should I go out tonight?” could only be answered by me. So, I made my split-second decisions and experienced the best.

I overcame my fear of making mistakes in France. I was that student that only answered questions in class if I had the solution in front of my face. I suffered from the “perfectionist” trait. You can only imagine what a wreck I was when I arrived in France – a nervous, tight-lipped young American who was too afraid to say, “Bonjour,” because I knew that my accent wasn’t perfect. Years and years of language classes did not prepare or teach me how to deal with the anxiety of speaking French among native speakers. My French accent was atrocious. I lacked the confidence to speak loudly. I did not feel safe knowing that if I needed help I couldn’t reach out to anyone.

And then I met my host parents and they barely spoke English. I soon realized that unless I wanted to be mute my entire time abroad I had to put myself out there and give speaking French my best effort. Unfortunately, as soon as I opened my mouth I messed up.

The first question my host family asked me during the car ride home was, “Comment ça-va, Jessica?” which translates to, “How are you?” I replied, hoping to impress them, Bien! Je suis très excitée!” which, I thought, translated to, “Good! I’m very excited!”

I was dead wrong. I quickly found out that, within moments of meeting my host family, I told them I was “very aroused,” rather than the “excited, ecstatic-to-be-here” definition I meant. After a few hours of lingering embarrassment I figured that if I wanted to perfect the language, I was going to have to make a few mistakes first.

Studying abroad culturally “opened my eyes;” as it should have. I have only lived in two different cities: Anchorage, Alaska and Eugene, Oregon. While these two places have tremendous differences, they do contain many similarities when compared to France. I broke free of my “American” habits and culturally immersed myself. I soaked up the dining and drinking customs, I learned many French expressions and idioms, and I graciously accepted the French cheek-kiss greeting and goodbye, “bisous,” with open arms. Studying abroad opened my mind, as well as opened my heart.

France taught me to love. And I don’t mean in that romantically-cliché, “Everyone falls in love in Europe” way (although that did happen to me, but that’s an entirely different story). France taught me to love, in general. I found myself inspired by everything in France. I loved the sunshine because it illuminated the trees in a way I had never seen before. I loved the rain because it kept me inside, occupied in French conversation while sipping coffee in tiny cafés and crêperies. I loved the French cats and dogs, the narrow streets, the tiny cars, the castles and churches, the jutting balconies, and the formalities. I found myself loving everything. I was a blooming burst of optimism and confidence, and with that came my metamorphosis.

Studying abroad was the best decision I’ve ever made (so far). I regret nothing. It is commonly clichéd that studying abroad “changes you,” but this is a saying that should be embraced. I returned from France a slightly different person, but it’s a change I’m incredibly grateful for.

“The world is a book, and those who do not travel, read only a page.” – St. Augustine

Serena Piper will always be a Southern belle at heart, but for now she is a Senior Magazine Journalism student at the University of Oregon. She is an avid news reader and watcher, loves to bake yummy desserts and watch Sex and the City reruns, has big travel plans for after graduation and would eventually like to work for National Geographic. She wouldn't mind one bit if her life echoed Elizabeth Gilbert's in Eat, Pray, Love. To find out what Serena is up to, check out her blog and follow her on Twitter