As 2011 comes to close, we are bombarded with the usual New Year resolutions and awkward conversations about memories from 2011.
The entertainment news stories this year have ranged from celebrity marriages and closely-followed breakups (Kardashians anyone?), to the break-up of Demi and Ashton.
Here is a breakdown of the top ten entertainment new stories to hit stands in 2011.
- Justin Bieber Paternity Suit - Teen idol Justin Bieber was accused of fathering a child when he lost his virginity backstage after one of his Los Angeles shows to 20 year-old fan Mariah Yeater. She dropped the suit after Bieber handed over DNA results proving her wrong. Unfortunately, Yeater plans on filing a second suit in 2012.
- Kim Kardashian gets married - The wedding was the “talk of the town” and the center of drama on multiple Kardashian reality shows. Kim Kardashian's wedding to Kris Humphries cost around 10 million dollars and netted Kim over 15 million in profits. When the marriage first aired on E!, both parts of “Kim’s Fairytale Wedding: A Kardashian Event” attracted more than 4 million viewers.
- Kim Kardashian’s Divorce - 72 days after her over-the-top marriage to pro-basketball player Kris Humphries, Kardashian filed for divorce citing irreconcilable differences as the reason for their split. Many fans cried foul and there has been a lot of speculation about the reasons for the marriage in the first place.
- Amy Winehouse Dies at 27 - After a very public and tough battle with addiction, Amy Winehouse was found dead by her bodyguard in her London apartment. Her death was ruled a result of alcohol poisoning. After her death, her album Back to Black became the UK’s best-selling album of the century.
- The Royal Wedding - The world tuned in as an estimated 3 billion viewers watched Prince Willliam, Duke of Cambridge, marry Catherine Middleton at Westminster Abbey in London. The service, which was broadcast live, rivaled the 1981 marriage of William’s parents, Charles and Diana. Copies of her dress were released in bridal stores internationally the next day.
- Ashton Cheats, Demi Files for Divorce - After six years of marriage, Demi called it quits when news of Ashton’s wild fling with a 22-year-old woman went viral. Obviously, their deluge of tweets and interviews claiming that their relationship was rock solid were far from true.
- Guilty Verdict in Michael Jackson Trial - After a seemingly never-ending trial, Dr. Conrad Murray lost his medical license and was found guilty of involuntary manslaughter in relation to Michael Jackson’s death in 2009. Michael Jackson died from 'acute propofol intoxication' and Murray was sentenced to a minimum of four years in prison.
- Charlie Sheen Antics - Who could forget the hilarious interviews and quotes that inspired '#winning' tweets. Sheen was fired from hit show Two and a Half Men and began to launch a war against cast members. His drug-filled binges spiraled him out of control and Sheen became an instant YouTube star.
- Oprah takes her final bow - twenty-five years after her talk shot went national, Oprah called it quits. Among her final episodes were two taped at the United Center before thousands of fans and included live tributes from celebrity pals such as Tom Cruise, John Travolta, and Beyonce.
- Harry Potter’s Final Goodbyes - The much beloved and magical book and movie series came to its final end when the final film, “Deathly Hallows: Part 2,” was released. The movie made a record shattering $168 million opening weekend. Fans are left scrabbling for a new way to get a Harry Potter fix.