Top 10 Documentaries Now on Netflix

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

1. “How to Survive a Plague”

There is no possible way to finish this documentary without tearing up at least a little bit. “How to Survive a Plague” delves deep into the AIDS crisis of the 80s and 90s, following groups like ACT UP and TAG as they struggle to combat the mistreatment and lack of care surrounding the AIDS epidemic. If you’re looking for a documentary that tells a story often untold about prejudice in our governmental system, then this is the one for you.

2. “The Propaganda Game” 

This documentary takes one of the only looks into the inner-workings of North Korea. One group of journalist was allowed into the country to document what they saw, led exclusively by the government. The documentary takes a look at the use of propaganda in the country, as well as the sentiments and actions of the people living within it. If you’re interested in seeing propaganda at work or learning more about North Korea, this is a great documentary for you.

3. “She’s Beautiful When She’s Angry”

This documentary focuses on the women’s liberation movement in the United States. It tells stories of activists and groups alike as they fought for equality in the workplace and in society. “She’s Beautiful When She’s Angry” is a wonderful look into the history of feminist movements and a must-see for everyone, whether they identify as feminist or not.

4. “Food, Inc.”

This documentary will change how you think about your food. It analyzes the inner workings and impacts of systems in place to regulate and produce our food and provides an in-depth look at the corporatization of the food industry, specifically in America. This engaging documentary handles issues affecting every person. We all eat, don’t we?

5. “Iris”

This documentary is a real pick-me-up that had me smiling the entire time. It follows the life of designer Iris Apfel. Her eclectic style and personality are showcased in “Iris”, following her life, and reflecting on her past success. On top of all of her spunk, you get a peek at her life with her husband Carl, and who doesn’t love watching old people in love?

6. “Thirteenth”

In today’s political climate, this fairly new documentary is extremely relevant. It explores the systemic racism of our country, specifically in relation to the prison industrial complex and the 13th Amendment. Looking for an extremely well-done documentary with wonderful social commentary? This one’s for you. 

7. “Blackfish”

“Blackfish” delves into the treatment of marine life at various water parks around the world, specifically focusing on Orca whales. This documentary analyzes the incidents affecting these massive animals in captivity and the treatment of these animals at SeaWorld. It looks deeply into the statements of SeaWorld regarding these incidents, as well as their treatment of the animals and the habitats they live in. This documentary is great if you’re looking into the treatment of animals in captivity and the use of animals for entertainment.

8. “What Happened, Miss Simone?”

I was pleasantly surprised at how engaging and enthralling this documentary was. It looks at the life of famous jazz singer Nina Simone, her career, the effects of her dive into the Civil Rights movement, and politicization of her music. It’s a wonderful documentary looking at the experience of this African-American performer, and it has amazing music as well.

9. “Miss Representation”

This documentary is one of my absolute favorites, and has been the inspiration for much of the actions and ideas in my life. It takes a look at the way women are represented in the media and in society. It contains first-hand accounts of sexism and bias in the world around us. If you’re looking at an interesting, in-depth account of media and society’s effects on women, this is the documentary for you.

10. “The Mask You Live In”

Created by the same people as “Miss Representation”, this documentary dives into ideas of toxic masculinity and its effect on our population. This topic is often ignored in society and the discussions and ideas presented in this documentary are amazingly formatted, creating a great discourse on an amazing topic. If you’re looking to learn more about the harms of toxic masculinity, this is a wonderful place to start.

The official Her Campus Oregon account