Snowpocalypse Survival Guide

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

Remember last year when Eugene saw this:

Yes, I’m talking about the Snowpocalypse we experience December 2013 and January 2014. The best and the worst days with power outages, fallen trees, unprepared city snow plowers, and more! Hopefully this year Eugene will not experience such freezing temperatures or snow, but if it does,we have you covered. These are some basic ways you can prepare yourself for the impending doom of being stuck in a snow storm.

A slight disclaimer: I’m from California. That is all.

1. Have warm clothes

Warm clothes will save you. Make sure you have clothes that are warm enough or that can be layered on top of each other for additional warmth. One thing I do is wear leggings and layer under some tights. Jeans and tights can be super uncomfortable! It is also important to have thicker socks, especially if it snows. You don’t want to have wet or cold toes because that will ruin your day. 

2. Stock up of food

Be aware of the weather! Power outages can happen any time, thus making the foods in your fridge inedible. If you know that there may be a power outage or intense snowstorm, make sure products such as eggs and milk in your fridge are eaten first. Any dairy product, except butter, will have to be discarded. Something that people sometimes forget is water. In the case of last year when Eugene froze over, your pipes may freeze. It is best to keep a handy gallon of water available, and run your water just a trickle at all time to prevent the pipes from freezing. 

The best option for a dinner in a power outage would be peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and canned fruits. Anything in the pantry should be good to eat.

3. Power Outage Scare? Candles, flashlights, blankets

Power outages can be scary. There is no power to charge electronics, to take a hot bath, or to keep yourself warm in your home. If you follow tips 1 and 2, you will already have warm clothes and a good idea of what to do with your fridge (don’t open your fridge!). The best thing to have on hand are candles, matches, a flashlight, and extra batteries. For warmth, make sure you wrap yourself with blankets. If you are told that the power may be out for more than 2 days, find a friend who will open her home to you for the time being.

4. Transportation

Chains help cars that don’t have 4wheel drive!

Eugene is not a town to get a lot of snow seasonally. When there is snow, everything is 10x slower. With that, try to avoid driving. If you are not used to driving in the snow, it is important to remember to driver slower. When hitting an icy patch on the road, remember not to panic or brake. Keep the steering wheel straight.

Remember, your safety is much more important than your destination. If you get into an accident, will your destination matter after that?

5. Be safe (and take awesome photos)

Snow is all fun and games, but at the end of the day be safe! Be smart and prepare ahead! The only you can do with a snowpocalypse is to prepare for it. 

Photos courtsey of Google Images

Claire is a sophomore at the University of Oregon, majoring in advertising and film studies and minoring in multimedia. Originally from Singapore, Claire is from San Jose, California, and absolutely loves the Oregon lifestyle. She loves chai tea lattes, daydreaming, and playing scrabble. Twitter: clairecchong
The official Her Campus Oregon account