Simple and Classy DIY Ideas Using Winter Nail Colors

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

Choosing a nail color at the salon is one of the toughest decisions a girl has to make. The decision can be influenced by the season, her mood or her personality, but one thing we all know is that choosing the color is an extended thought process. And sometimes, beyond making the final decision, the next step is to actually begin the painting process on your own. I mean, we are broke college students, aren’t we?

For me, the left hand is always easiest as I am right handed. And the right hand always turns out sloppier than my other. Plus, sometimes I like to add a cute detail or make my design for something a little different. For some reason, I know I’m not alone. So I spent this past weekend browsing Pinterest for the top three nail colors of this winter season. While I was completing some pinning, I came across a few cute and easy ways to make winter nails unique. I even tried them out myself. Check out my final products below. Nail polish brands and colors to follow.

WHITE

The off-white nail color “tuck it in my tux” by Essie is a perfect color for winter. White has been very in this year but to keep it from looking like your nails are painted with whiteout, I decided to go for an off-white. I added Pure Ice nail polish glitter #1128 on top in order to give the nails a snowflake type feel.

RED

Always a bold choice, we seem to see red pop out around the holiday season. Instead of going for a fire truck red color during the heart of winter, go for a deeper red. I chose “I’m Not Really a Waitress” by OPI. The simple and clean shine that the color offers really portrays confidence and class.

BLUE

My favorite color this season is definitely the pale blue. I chose Essie’s “bikini so teeny” color and paired it with larger sparkles on my ring finger for the unique touch. This tends to be my go-to. I found the larger sparkles featured in my latest magazine from InStyle. I had never heard of this brand, carrying the larger sparkle polish but Milani’s Silver Jewel FX worked really well. It really reminds me of icicles and snow.

Full-time student at the University of Oregon expected to graduate from the School of Journalism and Communications in 2016. Majoring in Public Relations. I currently serve as the Chapter President of the UO Public Relations Student Society of America for the 2015-2016 school year and am a writer/photographer for Her Campus Oregon. Passionate for fashion, event production, and photography. Experienced in leadership, team management, and organization.
The official Her Campus Oregon account