Should I Stay Or Should I Go… (College with High School Sweethearts)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

“Should I stay with my high school sweetheart?” This is a question that races through the mind of many college freshmen, whether they want to admit it aloud or not. Unfortunately, there isn’t a correct answer to this question so I asked a handful of upperclassmen – half male, half female, some who started college with a high school significant other and the others who started solo – to share their personal opinions on the subject. Here’s what they collectively agreed on:

The PROS of staying with your high school sweetheart:
•    You will never feel lonely.
•    There will always be someone to eat with.
•    You won’t have to try new things alone.
•    You will always have someone to talk to.
•    The chances of feeling homesick are slim.
•    “Regular sex.”

The CONS:
•    You could avoid meeting new people.
•    It may make your roommate uncomfortable.
•    You could miss out on new opportunities.
•    Jealousy problems/arguments are more prevalent as new friends are made.
•    Long distance sucks (for those long-distance couples)
•    You’ll spend hours talking on the phone when you could be doing something more beneficial.
•    You could start to feel trapped in the relationship.
•    College turns into “our experience together,” rather than your own.

As I said before, there is no right or wrong move to make when it comes to continuing a high school relationship after high school. It all depends on how you feel and what you want out of your college experience.

For the upperclassmen I asked that began college with significant others, their relationships all ended after the first year. This does not mean it will happen to everyone; I know couples that have happily exceeded these expectations. However, do realize that college is a time when people learn more about themselves, grow up, and change. Sometimes those changes break relationships.

In the end, it is solely your decision; and ultimately, you should always do what is best for you.

Serena Piper will always be a Southern belle at heart, but for now she is a Senior Magazine Journalism student at the University of Oregon. She is an avid news reader and watcher, loves to bake yummy desserts and watch Sex and the City reruns, has big travel plans for after graduation and would eventually like to work for National Geographic. She wouldn't mind one bit if her life echoed Elizabeth Gilbert's in Eat, Pray, Love. To find out what Serena is up to, check out her blog and follow her on Twitter