Pass the Tissues: 5 Tips for Battling Sickness in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

Colleges are a home base for getting sick. So many different factors contribute to our well-being that sometimes it’s impossible to stay healthy. We lose sleep if we choose to stay up late and work on a paper due the next day, and we stress about our grades in classes we thought we had studied the right material for.

I was the latest victim of mono, but before being officially diagnosed with it, I was stranded on the couch. My time in my living room allowed me to think about things I’d never put much thought into, like my overall health. I am a vegetarian and have been since last summer after I read “Unhappy Meals,” an essay by Michael Pollan, a journalism professor and noted author of books about why we should care about where our food comes from.

Due to this recent bout of mono, I couldn’t help but wonder: could my being a vegetarian make me more susceptible to illness? While many different theories exist, I found it easier to compile a list of the top five rules everyone should follow when keeping an eye on their health:

1. Drink your water!

You hear it from your doctor, your mom, your health-nut friends, and now you’re hearing it from me, collegiettes™. That old guideline that we should drink eight glasses of water a day is just a myth. Nowadays, it’s safe to call it a rule of thumb. In general, go by how you feel. If you are prone to dehydration more than others, drink up! Otherwise, there is no need to be strict with this one. Just don’t down soda like it’s your lifelong mission.

2. Take vitamins.

This one is especially true for vegetarians. Because we’re not eating meat, we don’t get the recommended daily allowance (RDA) of protein our bodies need, so we must get it from somewhere else. Vitamins are the best way to get any nutrient our body lacks. Make a multivitamin part of your breakfast routine, and you’re good to go for the day.

3. Get outside.        

Exercising is pretty easy to do when you’re a college student because hello, you have to walk from building to building. Because our campus is easy to get around, riding our bikes and walking to class usually gets us to class fairly quickly. Take advantage of the nice weather and walk a little slower the next time you’re out. Bonus: all that fresh air gets rid of the stale air you share with your classmates inside.

4. Don’t go to class…        

… when you’re sick! This is one of the most important pieces of advice I wish all college students would listen to. A lot of us still go to class when we feel sick, and those people get everyone else sick! No one wants to be the student coughing and hacking the entire time. News flash: if you’re feeling miserable, try to keep it at home. I’m sure your professor will understand and possibly even thank you, if you can’t make it. Bottom line is if you think you’re contagious, take a day off and rest.

5. Get tested.

Have fun with that guy in English you’ve been checking out, but if things heat up between you two, be safe about it. College is a time of experimenting with different partners, but that doesn’t mean you have to deal with the nasty sicknesses it can bring. The UO Health Center offers HIV tests for as little as $12 and also provides the HPV vaccine and emergency contraception. If you don’t have health insurance, the UO Health Center is the place to go for affordable health services.

Nobody likes being sick, so be proactive about keeping healthy, and you’ll have less to worry about!

(Photo credit: M. McFarland)

Serena Piper will always be a Southern belle at heart, but for now she is a Senior Magazine Journalism student at the University of Oregon. She is an avid news reader and watcher, loves to bake yummy desserts and watch Sex and the City reruns, has big travel plans for after graduation and would eventually like to work for National Geographic. She wouldn't mind one bit if her life echoed Elizabeth Gilbert's in Eat, Pray, Love. To find out what Serena is up to, check out her blog and follow her on Twitter
A University of Oregon junior and San Francisco native, Charmaine Ng loves authentic noodle dishes and will always opt for Asian and Italian cuisine when pressed to choose a restaurant. She is a self-proclaimed "noodler," someone who uses her noodle to collaborate with others and bring big ideas to life. She interns for a student-run full-service ad agency, blogs for a wedding and event planning company, and runs the UO Muggle Quidditch League. In her spare time, she sleeps, and sleeps, and sleeps - and dabbles in social media and blogging, her two biggest passions. Her quirkiness isn't apparent at first, but then she starts talking about packaging design and making funny faces, and you wonder what happened to that shy Asian girl you first met. With ambition bursting beyond the campus walls, Charmaine can't wait to graduate and work for an agency, company, or publication in community outreach efforts using social media.