NYFW: Behind the Scenes from a UO Collegiette

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

Carly Strutner, a recent HCO Campus Cutie, just got back from Fashion Week and she’s giving us the inside scoop! 

HCO: You just got back from your Teen Vogue trip to Fashion Week. Share with us some insight regarding your experience as the #TRESonCampus contest winner. 

CS: Being the contest winner allowed me to form connections with some of the staff at Teen Vogue. I was able to communicate with an editor over email, so when I met her in person I felt really comfortable asking questions about her job at Teen Vogue. Winning the contest also gave me some credibility as someone who understands fashion and the industry. 

HCO: Part of your trip included a tour of the Teen Vogue offices at One World Trade Center. What did that entail? 

CS: The new offices are amazing! The view from the massive glass windows inside the Teen Vogue offices is stunning; you can see almost the whole city and the water. I was also able to see the iconic fashion closet and editor-in-chief, Amy Astley’s office, as well as the offices of all the editors. The fashion closet was my favorite part, there were so many unique pieces of clothing, shoes, and accessories… a girl’s heaven! 

HCO: You got to tour Teen Vogue’s Editor-In-Chief, Amy Astley’s office? Eep! What was that like? 

CS: Seeing Amy Astley’s office was kind of a surreal experience. I follow her on Instagram and she frequently posts photos from her office; seeing it all in person was in a way really gratifying. I just kept saying, “I recognize those [flowers, desk accessories, and of course her custom BearBrick doll – a gift from Karl Lagerfeld] from her Instagram!”

HCO: What can you tell our readers about your behind-the-scenes experience at the Rebecca Minkoff show?

CS: The energy backstage is really high. Everything was so fast paced; most of the models arrived at the last minute because they were racing from show to show. The makeup artists, nail artists and hairstylists were all in a kind of turbo-mode. My favorite part was seeing all of the makeup products used for the look, most of which hasn’t even hit stores yet! 

HCO: How was it meeting some of the editors and staff at Teen Vogue?

CS: The editors and staff at Teen Vogue are some of the sweetest people! I felt so welcome in the offices and throughout the trip. It was definitely a cool experience being able to ask them questions about their specialized jobs at Teen Vogue as well as how they got started in the industry. 

HCO: What was the ultimate highlight of your trip? 

CS: I had so many incredible experiences, I honestly don’t think I can pick just one! Some of my favorites moments were seeing the fashion closet and going to all of the amazing restaurants and coffee shops.

HCO: Any fun celeb sightings will you were in NYC?

CS: Surprisingly, I didn’t see many models or designers. I did see the cast of Fashion Police filming a segment at fashion week. I saw Kelly Osborne for a second time later that night at the Standard Hotel and I sat at the table right next to Jake Gyllenhaal at brunch! 

(Photos submitted by Carly Strutner)

cincinnati raised -- go redlegs. spending this chapter of my life exploring the pacific northwest. inspired by laughter, adventure, unfamiliar things & spontaneity.university of oregon, class of 2016. journalism major always searching for new experiences. finding the unseen magic of the world through a camera lens.to see more of my work, visit my personal blog: https://libbybartley.wordpress.com/
The official Her Campus Oregon account