Nail It Down! 2012 Trends for Your Fingers

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

The Power Nail

2012 is your year! It’s time for you to be on top, to be in power. Why not take that power to your nails? Make a statement by painting one nail a different color than the rest. My personal favorite is a mint green polish and a sparkly gold on my power nail (usually the ring or pointer finger).

The Reverse French Manicure

Taking a twist on the classic pink polish with white tips, this nail trend is a bit edgier. So if you’re looking for something different, this is it! Paint your nails in a polish of your choice then take another polish and highlight the underside of your nail in a very thin line. Perfect!

Ombre

Ombre is without a doubt the fashion trend of the season. We are seeing it in clothes, hair, accessories, and now nails! Create this look with at least three colors in the same hue. If you don’t have enough, you can use black or while polish to darken or lighten the color you do have. Start with your first color and don’t be shy with how much you use, it makes it easier to blend. Continue with the next color and make small brushstrokes between the two; repeat with your final color!

Rebecca is a senior at the School of Journalism and Communication at the University of Oregon. She is currently studying photography and magazine journalism. Hailing from the mountain town of Bend, Oregon, Rebecca values being outdoors, staying active, and the beauty in simple things. She loves seeing what other people are exploring in their fashion and finding new trends. Rebecca is a lover of all things creative, spontaneous, stylish, and interesting.
Serena Piper will always be a Southern belle at heart, but for now she is a Senior Magazine Journalism student at the University of Oregon. She is an avid news reader and watcher, loves to bake yummy desserts and watch Sex and the City reruns, has big travel plans for after graduation and would eventually like to work for National Geographic. She wouldn't mind one bit if her life echoed Elizabeth Gilbert's in Eat, Pray, Love. To find out what Serena is up to, check out her blog and follow her on Twitter