kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness

My Trial At Eating A Raw Vegan Diet For A Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

I’ve been vegan for almost two years, a personal decision I made to benefit my health as well as the environment. I briefly heard about the raw vegan food diet but was always intimidated by the thought of it. Until one day, I became wildly curious about it, decided to do some research on it and take the plunge of trying a raw vegan food diet for a day. 

Essentially, a raw food diet is made up of, “Fresh, whole, unrefined, living, plant-based foods: fruits, vegetables, leafy greens, nuts and seeds,” (Fully Raw) all of which are consumed uncooked and in their natural state. At the beginning of this new realm of eating, I created a meal plan for breakfast, lunch, dinner plus a snack and made a grocery list to fit my budget. The grocery shopping process alone made me more intuitive with what I decided to purchase and what foods I should avoid. The four different raw vegan based meals I decided to try were: tropical green spirulina smoothie for breakfast, basil pesto zucchini pasta for lunch, raw chocolate zucchini bites as a snack and raw vegan tacos for dinner.   

In just 24-hours, I learned a lot about my raw vegan food diet journey. It was a bit challenging and I made a few mistakes along the way that I didn’t figure out until later. For instance, I put salt on a few of my meals (which is one of the food elements to avoid) and drank tea as a part of my morning routine (which is another drink to avoid). I was also concerned with the fact that I may not be getting enough protein or had low nutrient intake. Considering my challenges, I also realized a few interesting benefits I didn’t expect. For instance, the portions for each of my meals were considerably small, yet I was surprisingly full and content after everything I ate. It also made me a lot more conscientious about the foods I ate. Normally, my snacks consist of processed foods like granola bars, trail mixes or crackers. Rather than grabbing a processed good, the raw diet perspective inspired me to reach for a banana or an orange. 

Although this raw vegan food diet was a short experience, I learned a lot about myself and the different kinds of beneficial foods we could be putting into our bodies. It was a challenge to say the least, but I do admire the lifestyle behind raw veganism and respect those who are passionate about eating this way.

Hi! I'm Savannah Mendoza, a senior studying photojournalism at University of Oregon. Photography has always been one of my passions and I also love hiking, smoothie bowls, cats and going to the beach. I'm excited to continue to grow and learn about photography and writing through the opportunity of Her Campus.
The official Her Campus Oregon account