Money Saving Tips: Grocery Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

I don’t know about you, but I am always spending way too much money on groceries. I always come back with one too many sweets or extra goodies that I do not need. As college students, we have a strict budget and want to save money wherever possible. These quick tips will have you saving money in no time, and allow you to spend the money you save on a fun concert or a summer dress. 

1. Make a List

This is probably one of the best tips I have come across. Prancing around the grocery store without a focus is almost deadly, especially if you are hungry. To avoid leaving the store with 2 bags of M&M’s, Cheez-Its, or discounted Easter baking supplies, make a list. Before going to the grocery store, plan out what you are going to buy. What meals will you be making? What special breakfast cereal do you need for the week? Are you out of milk? Asking yourself these simple questions will reduce unnecessary spending. I’m not saying skip the cookie aisle, but balance out your list and make a plan beforehand. Once you are in the store do not venture off of the list. By following this tip, experts say you just might save up to 41% on your grocery bill. (Curbly)

Tip: These post-it type notes are quick and easy, even for even the laziest note-makers. All you have to do is check mark the box! Buy Here

2. Use Coupons

Couponing has such a negative connotation.Though extreme couponing like the TV show on TLC is slightly crazy, regular couponing is not only smart but also extremely useful and can help you save money. I use two phone-related paperless couponing programs:

1. Safeway U Card: This card is amazing and really helps save college students money. First, sign up for a Safeway card to get regular discounts; the best part about this is that it is free. Second, sign up for the Safeway-U program online through your regular Safeway card. This couponing device is a paperless couponing system. All you do is download the app (androids included) and then scroll through and click the coupons you want, which it then automatically uploads to your Safeway card. Just swipe your Safeway card when you are checking out. Although it may not seem like a lot, these coupons do add up. Safeway frequently gives out $5 off $20 purchase coupons, and many coupons on necessities like milk, eggs, and much more.  Last week I saved 28% ($7.00) off of my grand total! Cool, huh?                                                  
  2. Target Mobile coupons: Similar to Safeway-U, yet the coupons are for the entire store. This is extremely useful for us Target lovers. However, this coupon does not keep us away from that sneaky dollar section!

3. Plan Ahead

Plan ahead. If you know that it is a friend’s birthday on Friday night and that she is planning on having a birthday dinner at a restaurant, then there is no need to go out to eat Thursday night. Also plan in advance for nights when you have a late class and need a quick dinner. Have a meal ready in the fridge so that you can re-heat it easily and quickly. This suppresses the urges to get fast food our grab take-out, which add up.

Tip: Another great way to keep track of what you need is the App “Out of Milk” for iPhone or iPad, or Menu Planner

4. Buy Neccessary Items Only

This tip goes along with making a list. Buy items you know you will eat; such as bread, milk, eggs, veggies, fruit. Skip snacking type foods, chips, and soda. By buying only the necessities you will cut out a large portion of your total that could be spent on other fun things such as concerts or a new spring accessory.

Tip: Eat before you go grocery shopping. This will help you stay focused and stay away from unnecessary purchases.

5. Treat Yourself

Lastly, treat yourself. If you have been couponing and saving up a storm, you deserve a treat. Splurging on a treat now and then is a must!

Do you have any tips for saving money while at the grocery store? Let us know if you use any of these tips and tricks, or if your would like to see more money saving tips.

Rachel is a Junior at the University of Oregon studying Journalism, Advertising, and English. She is on the writing team for HCO. She aspires to become an editor of a fashion magazine, a food writer, or creative strategist at an advertising firm. Rachel has always loved the freedom of writing and loves all things creative, makeup, fashion, food and Art History. When not studying for school, she enjoys the beach, traveling, dancing, and eating Nutella.
The official Her Campus Oregon account