Making Realistic New Year Resolutions

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

We all know the phrase, “new year, new me.” Most women love to try to think of goals that will help them with things they are currently struggling with when it comes to the new year. The problem with this is that most of these goals are too unattainable or too unrealistic and they seem to go above and beyond. So, here are some tips (on the most common resolutions) on how to make your goals more realistic and still being able to see major results.

1. Losing weight

The most common goal for girls and women are to get that skinnier bod for the summer. However, for someone who never goes to the gym may have the resolution to go to the gym everyday for an hour. They end up burning themselves out and get nowhere near their wanted result. Instead, something more attainable to start with is to simply go at most three times a week for thirty minutes. This already is a great start and one can even go two times a week for thirty minutes. This will help one to get used to that more active lifestlye and later on you can start going more. Also, instead of eating nothing but veggies and fruit, try to just eat smaller portions of regular meals. All of this together will start creating great results and you will become so much healthier :)

2. Creating better relationships

Another common resolution is to take the time to spend more time with friends or family. This can stick in someone’s mind so much to the point where it can cause anxiety and stress. If one is really worried about their relationship with another, it can cause you to think about every little detail of your time spent together which will result in overthinking. Instead, try to spend small amounts of time with the person and ask to grab lunch one day out of the week. It is always good to start out slow and not too aggressively. Also, learn to be a good listener and don’t set too many rules and expectations. This will definetely lead to a better relationship.

3. Saving money

Money can be spent like crazy, especially in college. Some people decide to save money by never going out to eat with friends, not going shopping with friends, and not going on trips for breaks. This actually can be stressful and no fun. Instead, how about join your friends for lunch or dinner but buy really small meals or share a meal and split the cost. You can also go shopping with your friends but maybe not even bring your wallet if you aren’t planning on buying anything or don’t need anything. Also, you should be able to go on trips but bring a certain amount of money with you so you don’t go overboard and decide on a cheaper place to visit. All of these can still be manageable and fun.

“New year, New me,” is not the best phrase to use. Instead, how about “New year, Better version of me.” :)

Kara Fagan is currently a sophomore at the University of Oregon, where she is studying the field of journalism. Even though she is greatly driven to do well in academics, she also enjoys many other activities that college life has to offer. You can find her going out to eat at Qdoba with friends, curled up in sweats watching Netflix, or even joining events that her sorority, Alpha Phi, sets up. If you want to find out more about Kara, follow her on Instagram (@fagan_kara)!
The official Her Campus Oregon account