Make A Change: UO Alternative Break Program

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

We’ve all been there… Summer, Winter or Spring Break rolls around and we have already planned to spend our time away from school relaxing or catching up with friends. However, after one day, two pints of Ben & Jerry’s and 24 episodes of Gossip Girl later, we find ourselves in a very boring and repetitive predicament.

The truth is so many college students spend their school year counting down the days until the next vacation. Let’s face it, college is stressful and any amount of time away from class is extremely cherished!  This is the reason why the Alternative Break Program through UO’s Holden Center is such an amazing opportunity in our community. This program allows students to participate in group trips nationally and internationally to facilitate service learning projects. The program offers various locations for each academic break during the year. This means that wherever your heart desires to travel to – near or far – the Alternative Break Program may be in the answer for you!

What is Alternative Break?

Alternative Break is a program that offers students the chance to travel during Summer, Winter and Spring Break and participate in community service projects. Many of the trips are focused around social issues and cultural change. Each trip offers spots to a group of eager students who participate in an application process. The trips have taken place in a variety of places, both in the US and internationally.

What are the costs associated with an Alternative Break trip?

The costs vary depending on each trip. As I was doing research on the costs of the trips for you lovely collegiettes, I noticed two great things about the payments for an Alternative Break trip. For one, the cost associated with the trip includes everything, including airfare, meals, accommodations, and transportation – not to mention endless memories and exciting experiences! Also, Alternative Break trips have payment plans in place prior to the application deadline, so you know exactly what you’re obligations are very early on. The program also gives unique fundraising ideas!

What do I get out of the experience?

One of the most important parts of going on an Alternative Break trip is the opportunity to give back. One of the programs site leaders, Monquize Dusseau, shared some of his most memorable moments from a trip to Oakland, California: “This trip allowed me to see another side of my community, noting this trip was lead by students, it truly drove my passions to all new heights.” Monquize feels that anyone from any background has something to gain from an Alternative Break experience. On these trips, you have the opportunity to directly influence a social change and that is a huge accomplishment for anyone. Monquize remembers his time on the Oakland trip as eye-opening: “From days of frustrations and pools of tears to bright days of joy and growth…that’s when I knew that I could not let my involvement end there! I have seen and experienced the changes first hand and I truly encourage ALL students to get involved.”

How can I learn more about the program?

The Alternative Break program has an amazing website located here: http://serve.uoregon.edu/Students/AlternativeBreaks.aspx

You can also follow the Holden Center on Twitter (@HoldenCenter) and keep up with the hashtag #AltBreaks.

This program has so much to offer to such a variety of students. The deadline for Winter Break is November 5th. If you’re looking to make a change in the world or simply to get off the couch, I encourage you to look into the Alternative Break program here at the University of Oregon!

Content and photo sources used in this article: http://serve.uoregon.edu/Students/AlternativeBreaks.aspx

University of Oregon student taking everything as inspiration.
The official Her Campus Oregon account