Listen to Your Inner Gaia

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

The city of Eugene has quite a reputation for being environmentally friendly, thanks to the large collection of hipsters and free spirits that reside here, which is precisely why I am a student at the U of O.  As an environmental science major, I love sharing the knowledge I learn in my classes with others. If there’s one thing that has been drilled into my head from professors, it’s that environmental studies are extremely interdisciplinary. The issues addressed by environmentalists require help from people in many different fields of work, from politicians to professors. You can promote environmental causes that are specific to your interests, making it all the more rewarding. I choose to promote these any way that I can, but it can be difficult for women to be taken seriously in the sciences. Women should be able to assert their ideas without being seen as too emotional or passionate to be rational. We make up half of the population, so imagine what we could do if we all have a deeper connection to the earth and its needs.

One movement that has caught my eye recently is ecofeminism. Ecofeminism parallels the oppression of women with the oppression of nature. It seemed like a bit of a stretch to me at first, but when I looked further into it, I found that ecofeminism is a great way to empower yourself as a woman and feel more connected to the earth. Think about it: nature is often regarded as feminine, like the term “Mother Nature.” The environment is seen as having less power than Man, so Man gets to exploit and disrespect it. Women struggle with the same problem. Prejudice against women stems from men believing that women are not as powerful as they are and do not deserve as much credibility as they do. As women, we often have a different opinion on this issue, which can bring about a new perspective on nature.

You may have heard the term “Gaia” before, from a hippie poster or in an incense-filled shop downtown. Gaia is the goddess of the earth in Greek mythology. She is often depicted as a curvy, earthy woman physically intertwined with plants. I love the idea of the earth being recognized as a beautiful, feminine creature. But what does this imply to those who do not think the earth should be protected?

The earth does maintain a delicate balance, and it needs to be taken care of by its most influential inhabitants: humans. But we assert our dominance over the earth just as men have done to women in the past. Ecofeminists can identify this as prejudice against the planet. Instead of thinking of the planet as equally important, many people treat it as something they believe will be there forever, supplying us with endless resources. Yes, the earth is delicate, but it still has power, just like women do.

Maybe I’m an optimist, or maybe I just like the movie Avatar too much, but I believe if women find this connection with the earth, we can make big changes. The next time you make a choice to do something good for the environment, think of it as not only helping the earth, but promoting mutual respect between all living things as well. Listen to your inner Gaia.

(Credit: Josephine Wall)

A University of Oregon junior and San Francisco native, Charmaine Ng loves authentic noodle dishes and will always opt for Asian and Italian cuisine when pressed to choose a restaurant. She is a self-proclaimed "noodler," someone who uses her noodle to collaborate with others and bring big ideas to life. She interns for a student-run full-service ad agency, blogs for a wedding and event planning company, and runs the UO Muggle Quidditch League. In her spare time, she sleeps, and sleeps, and sleeps - and dabbles in social media and blogging, her two biggest passions. Her quirkiness isn't apparent at first, but then she starts talking about packaging design and making funny faces, and you wonder what happened to that shy Asian girl you first met. With ambition bursting beyond the campus walls, Charmaine can't wait to graduate and work for an agency, company, or publication in community outreach efforts using social media.